Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#61779 by upst8
Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:32 am
Selecting one's phone number is inefficient. I was told that no numbers exist in my home exchange. So I had to find out what other exchanges were in my calling area. I then had to check them, one at a time, until I found an exchange with an available number in my local area. This is silly.

A better idea would be to ask the user to select his/her current exchange, then tell him/her what numbers are available in the calling AREA. If this isn't possible, it would also be fine to ask the user for an area code, then identify which exchanges are available. The user could then pick an exchange, and then a number from that exchange.

As is, the trial-and-error is a real pain in the neck... and I should note that many new users may be turned off by this, thinking that no numbers in their calling *area* are available...
#61903 by nn5i
Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:28 pm
Google Voice does it the way you suggest. When I wanted a Dallas number, they listed something like a hundred numbers all over the Dallas-Ft Worth metroplex. If GV can do it, that is proof that it's technically feasible. So why doesn't Ooma do that?
#61908 by murphy
Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:23 pm
Ooma has to buy those numbers before they can put them in a list.
Money is no problem for Google.
Ooma doesn't have the budget that Google has.
#61919 by DTMF
Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm
murphy wrote:Ooma has to buy those numbers before they can put them in a list.
That's not necessarily true. There are DID providers that let clients hook into their inventory through an API. ;)