Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#60627 by Lapwolf
Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:09 pm
Hi All,

New to Ooma and like what I've experienced so far. Here's my question:

Is it possible to configure the Ooma Hub to receives calls from a landline (as well as VOIP), but make ALL outgoing calls via Ooma (local AND long distance)? Some form of integration? Something besides call forwarding the landline to the Ooma number?

I can't imagine I'm the only one who would use this feature...

Thanks!!
#60628 by southsound
Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:18 pm
ooma does it all the time. That is what the WALL jack is for on the Telo. On the hub it does double duty - it is for landline integration and/or communication with the scouts.

Even though it is offered, it is not recommended by most of us who contribute to the forum. It is a constant source of problems and gotchas. It also limits some of the features normally available with Premier and even some basic functions. If you really, really want it, just call ooma's support line and have them change to "integrated landline" configuration.
#60632 by Lapwolf
Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:34 pm
It's my understanding that Ooma landline integration sends local calls out via the landline. Is there a place that I can read a comprehensive list of the pros and cons for each approach? I'm still learning about this and would like to have as much information as possible before I decide on porting our main number.

Thanks!!
#60636 by murphy
Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:59 am
I'm confused. If your intention is to port your number, then land line integration is not an option because once the port is complete you will not have a land line. Porting your number will close your land line account.
#60642 by Lapwolf
Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:28 am
murphy wrote:I'm confused. If your intention is to port your number, then land line integration is not an option because once the port is complete you will not have a land line. Porting your number will close your land line account.

Sorry for the confusion. If I can do what I described in my original post, I would not port my landline, but maintain that number at a minimal cost. If I cannot, than I will most likely port the number.
#60649 by southsound
Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:56 am
Lapwolf wrote:It's my understanding that Ooma landline integration sends local calls out via the landline.
You are correct - according to their routing plan all local outgoing is supposed to go over the landline and long distance over VOIP. I misread your first post and left that requirement out. However, right now, ooma sends all calls made on the Telo out over VOIP. I would not count this as a guaranteed routing pattern in the future - I believe it is being done to address a problem.

Is there a place that I can read a comprehensive list of the pros and cons for each approach? I'm still learning about this and would like to have as much information as possible before I decide on porting our main number.
I've never seen such a list - but I can tell you that will a basic landline integration you will lose Caller ID, Call Waiting, and I believe there may be a problem with the Blacklist function if you have Premier. Other users can chime in to add more reasons either pro or con. If you intend to have permanent integration, ooma will want to "provision" your line which means they will have your local telco add CID, and Call Forward Busy at your expense. I guess my signature tells my feelings about the configuration.

Thanks!!
#60895 by nn5i
Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:15 pm
Anything is possible, some say. But I have never seen one of these persons stick his elbow in his ear.