Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#3959 by ben_b
Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:30 am
Please add UPnP support. Nearly every router out there now days supports it and it is required for many applications.
#12272 by huis58
Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:03 pm
I also need UPnP for my Mac and PS-3 to communicate. I have a trial version of Playback to facilitate the communication but it requires UPnP. OOMA, please add UPnP to your hub/router.

Thanks
#12273 by scottlindner
Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:15 pm
I think this is even more reason why I advocate Ooma not get into the router business.

If you guys need help configuring another router with Ooma behind the router let us know, we can help. That way you'll have the best of both and not being handicapped by Ooma's core business being VOIP, rather than routers.

By the way, welcome to Ooma!

Cheers,
Scott
#12369 by ben_b
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:06 pm
Well given that you guys suggest Ooma be the first device connected to the internet with all other traffic going through the Ooma device you really should add UPnP. You cannot expect most people to be able to figure out how to make port forwarding and DMZ work.
#12372 by southsound
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:20 pm
ben_b wrote:Well given that you guys suggest Ooma be the first device connected to the internet with all other traffic going through the Ooma device you really should add UPnP. You cannot expect most people to be able to figure out how to make port forwarding and DMZ work.

Ben, you have to realize that most of the folks on this forum are users like yourself. Scottlinder, WayneDSR, murphy, bw1 and others like myself don't work or speak for ooma - we're just happy to help out other ooma users with information and ooma experiences based on our own use of the product and in some cases, many years of network management or programming.

But the good news is that ooma does have some great people who monitor this forum (BobbyB, DennisP, Mojo and others) who DO work for ooma and step in when a situation requires it. So your request has been noted by ooma - but none of the rest of us can do anything othert than try to provide workarounds.

Welcome to ooma!
#12373 by scottlindner
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:22 pm
Placing the Ooma Hub first is only one of several recommended configurations. Another recommended configuration is with the Ooma Hub behind your router. It is described in the user's manual that I received with my Ooma gear. Although based on this thread and another, I am starting to wonder if the Advance Network Configuration option is not described in all variations of the packaging.

Cheers,
Scott
#12386 by ben_b
Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:35 pm
Sorry about the tone of that message guys... I was for some reason under the assumption one of you worked for Ooma. Anyways I think I may have seen some configurations where Ooma was behind the router however from what I have read and from what I understand Ooma prefers you place everything behind it so that it can prioritize the data (so that sound quality does not suffer). Also thanks for the welcome... but I have been around since the white rabbit program. ;)
#12388 by scottlindner
Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:24 pm
ben_b wrote:Sorry about the tone of that message guys... I was for some reason under the assumption one of you worked for Ooma. Anyways I think I may have seen some configurations where Ooma was behind the router however from what I have read and from what I understand Ooma prefers you place everything behind it so that it can prioritize the data (so that sound quality does not suffer). Also thanks for the welcome... but I have been around since the white rabbit program. ;)

There is no preferred configuration for Ooma. There are two basic options.

Basic Configuration
Use the Ooma Hub as your router. This is the simplest to configure, but you are at the mercy of the limited routing functions in the Ooma Hub. This configuration is only good for the basic users.

Advanced Configuration
Use your router as your router, and the Ooma Hub is another device on your network. The benefit with this configuration is you have full control over your network configuration based on your router's capabilities. The downside is you may need to configure QoS in your router to ensure all calls are not disrupted by other Internet traffic going through your router.

There are pros and cons with each approach. I did not list them all. There are a fair number of people that are using one or the other configuration that can help you configure your Ooma and network just the way you want it.

Cheers,
Scott
#12410 by bw1
Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:19 am
scottlindner wrote:
There is no preferred configuration for Ooma. There are two basic options.

Cheers,
Scott

Scott, on the user guide (Rev. A) that's on the website, it does mention a preferred or best location for the hub in the network:

Getting the Best Voice Quality
The ooma Hub is smart enough to function effectively anywhere in your network. There are certain locations, however, where it works best. If you can connect the ooma Hub in your network between the cable or DSL modem and all the computers in the home, the ooma Hub can intelligently prioritize your phone calls over computer data transfers (like large file uploads) and maintain the best possible voice quality.

It also mentions the advanced network configuration that you refer to:
If you have a router with a built-in modem, or have an advanced network configuration and want to install the ooma Hub behind a router, use the Integrated Router Installation instructions.
#12451 by ben_b
Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:54 am
@scott:

I have everything setup the way I want it right now, my point however is Ooma should add UPnP. It would have made setup easier for me. Additionally many of Ooma's users are probably unknowingly using programs on their computers that would perform better if UPnP worked.