Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#60262 by shmerls
Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:28 am
I think that Ooma should include Canada in it's call area and not just limit to the USA.

Competitively, one can buy a MagicJack for $40 initially and then only $20/yr and call anywhere
in the USA and Canada unlimited. Granted, your computer must be on for it to work, where
with Ooma it just plugs into your network with or without your computer being on.

Workaround? By an Ooma for the US and a MagicJack for Canada and get a 2-line phone
and pull line 1 into Ooma hub and line 2 into MagicJack.

Given all that, I think Ooma should rethink Canada.
#60276 by shmerls
Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:17 pm
How cool. I viewed the Google site and it tells you a lot about how all phones ring at once when your Google # is called, but I couldn't find anything about making calls. Since my Ooma and MagicJack have numbers built into them, I'm confused on how one makes calls or where to find out how to do that.

But to be sure, I definitely want a new # and don't use the #'s associated with my Ooma or MagicJack. Right?

Thx!!
#60286 by bw1
Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:01 pm
Yes, you want to select a new GV number. There is also an option to use Google Voice as a voicemail system for your existing phone number (cell phone number only?).

See here on how to call out using GV - http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin ... wer=115079

I set up GVE for Ooma that allows me to call out using GV by dialing **1 and then the number on my Ooma phones.
#60654 by oomg
Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:49 am
GV may work for you... if not, you might reconsider that MagicJack. I have several of then that I use to forward calls from specific areas (e.g. my Beverly Hills address, or my Las Vegas address). While I am not particularly happy with the overall performance of the MJ, one thing it seems to do well is forward calls. So, if you are constantly calling a friend or relative in Canada, set your MJ to forward calls to that number. As they might say in Montreal, Voila! If you need to call multiple numbers, it is easy to change the MJ call forward number although changing it might be a PITA if you make numerous calls to various Canadian numbers.
#60854 by JasonV
Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:03 am
bw1 wrote:Yes, you want to select a new GV number. There is also an option to use Google Voice as a voicemail system for your existing phone number (cell phone number only?).

See here on how to call out using GV - http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin ... wer=115079

I set up GVE for Ooma that allows me to call out using GV by dialing **1 and then the number on my Ooma phones.

Can you expand a little on how you use the Ooma for outgoing calls? I have GV, but you have to use the callback system (go on computer and start call), Google calls Ooma #, then call phone in Canada with GV phone #. Is there a direct way to use GV (meaning not using computer to start call) and please explain how you get your Ooma ID in there. Thanks.
#60861 by bw1
Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:32 am
I don't know that using my method of calling through Ooma will allow you to make free calls to Canada using Google Voice. It allows me to present my GV number as the caller id when I want to.

In order to call through GV without using your computer, you can use the last method listed on that website linked.

By calling your own Google number

When you call your own Google number and sign into the Google voicemail system, you’ll have the option to place a call. Just press 2 and enter the number.

For calls within the U.S, enter area code and number. For example: 212-555-2222. For international calls, enter 011, the country code, and the number (or "1 and the country code," depending on where you're calling). For example: 011442012345612345 or 12464260200.
#60870 by JasonV
Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:24 am
Thanks bw1! Got it set-up the correct way. By the way, I want to credit you for the GV and calls to Canada. When I mentioned I had GV, it was only because of your post. Thanks again.