Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#59431 by eagle2
Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:15 pm
Hello: I am a new Ooma customer. I purchased my Telo last Monday, July 5, 2010.

I did a lot of reading and research before making my purchase. I read how everybody, including those who had several complaints, like the call quality of the Ooma device. Since I live on Social Security as my principal and primary source of income, spending $200 at Best Buy and having free Internet telephone service was very appealing to me.

I was apprehensive because I had read quite a bit of negative comments about customer support and tech support. So let me give you a little bit of my personal experience.

I had a difficult time registering my unit. The web page would not take my activation code. So after several attempts, and getting no response to tech support, on a holiday, I finally got through to Derek in the Philippines. His English was not the best, but he understood English well enough and he seemed to have a willing spirit. So I took my time in talking to him and tried to be as helpful with him as I wanted him to be with me. It worked.

To give you a for instance, until getting hooked up with the Ooma system my wife and I have been using cell phones exclusively . During one of our exchanges on my cell phone I inadvertently hit the wrong buttons and cut off the call. I was really cursing myself because it had been so hard to make contact in the first place, being a holiday and all. While I was still cursing my bad luck Derek called me. Boy was I glad to hear his voice. We struggled and worked for quite some time and it was obvious that he was trying to handle everything by reading from a script. It was not working. He said "let me put you on hold" very courteously, "and let me talk to one of my supervisors". (By the way when I called Derek it was 2 AM in the Philippines.) Derek was gone for a while, then came back and was quite apologetic. We still were not able to work out the problem. So he said "would it be all right if I called you back in about 20 minutes after I have had a chance to talk to the engineers?" I said "no not at all please do". In about 20 or 30 minutes Derek called back to tell me they had the problem fixed and to wait about 30 minutes or so and I should be able to register. I waited for 30 minutes and was able to register my phone without further problems. However, although I had a phone that required only $11.75 a year, and the first year was free , I was registered at the $3.47 a month price starting by the end of the first month.

Now my experience with customer service.

I looked for a e-mail address and could not find one. Finally I located a place on the Ooma site that allowed me to write an e-mail on the webpage. I proceeded to do so. The very next day I heard back from Carol in customer service by email. She was quite helpful and courteous and explained to me what had happened and said they would fix it. She said "it would take about 45 minutes to do this and would that be all right?" I said she could have it for the afternoon as I was going to be installing some new UPS equipment. When I got done installing the UPS equipment I checked into My Ooma and followed her directions to reestablish a new account.

The upshot of all this is that I have found all of the negativity about Ooma customer service, and tech support, to be just the opposite for me. I'm not implying, in any way, shape, form, or fashion, that those who have experienced otherwise are just experiencing sour grapes. Possibly I just got very lucky. But I did want to report on this very positive experience with both customer service and tech support for those who might be interested.

And by the way, the sound quality is as good as everyone said it is, at least it has been for us.

Don
#59459 by DTMF
Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:05 am
It's good to hear that your experience with Ooma has been a good one, Don. It does appear that your patient approach to problem-solving had a lot to do with your success at it. It's something we could all learn from. Welcome to the forum! :cool:
#59730 by samq
Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:18 pm
I found the installation of Ooma with the quick start guild excellent and the forum is quite good at explaining how the Ooma works. I had no need to call customer services at all with my set up of Hub. I love my Hub.
#61721 by gamb00ler
Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:05 pm
Unfortunately, I've had a different experience with Ooma support.

Currently, I'm unable to add funds to my prepaid account using Ooma's website. I get a strange error message that says,

Please check out following fields
[1] System Completed Request - No Further User Action Is Required

After getting this message I cannot compete the purchase. I've tried calling Ooma support, but never get to speak to anyone. Twice I've emailed them and have yet to receive any response, not even a canned response acknowleding my e-mail.

So now, I'm out of funds and cannot call my family. Shame on Ooma!
#61749 by DTMF
Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:46 am
gamb00ler wrote:Unfortunately, I've had a different experience with Ooma support.

Currently, I'm unable to add funds to my prepaid account using Ooma's website. I get a strange error message that says,

Please check out following fields
[1] System Completed Request - No Further User Action Is Required

After getting this message I cannot compete the purchase. I've tried calling Ooma support, but never get to speak to anyone. Twice I've emailed them and have yet to receive any response, not even a canned response acknowleding my e-mail.

So now, I'm out of funds and cannot call my family. Shame on Ooma!
Cut them some slack on this one. There may be an issue with your payment. Companies like Ooma that sell international long distance service online have to deal with a lot of fraudulent charges, so they tend to have payment systems with a lot of "tripwires" that require manual review by a human before a payment goes through. Something about your charge transaction probably activated one of those tripwires and the people doing the manual reviewing may not work overnight or on weekends. It's not a reflection on the company's view of you or the importance of your business that might cause them to do this. It's a reflection of management's desire to not provide service to ruthless thieves and fraudsters who can pay for a service with someone else's CC number and use it up in less time than it takes to receive a chargeback from the card issuer. That kind of fraud costs companies more time and money to undo than it does to prevent it in the first place. Since you took the time to post here and complain, you're almost certainly not a ruthless thief or fraudster. Give Ooma a little time to verify that for themselves. :)
#62118 by Larion383
Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:54 pm
My (several) experiences have not been good. Not at all.

I am an ooma user for almost a year with hub and scout. Periodically the audio path fails to function. There is dial tone,I dial but then there is no sound.

Where I am located I do not have another USA based phone and therefore cannot phone in to a competent tech person. I email (each time) explaining that everything "appears" normals, ie; lights, dial tone, etc, but no voice.

And I get back these stupid, stupid, emails telling me to check my internet speed, asking me what red lights are on, what changes have I made in equipment lineup, etc. No matter how many times I email telling them that nothing is changed, the computer works fine, etc, just no voice path, they keep emailing back repeating the same things.

Each time, it takes about a week of emailing and it finally gets escalated (I think) and somebody remotely does something to my hub and it starts working again.

Overall, I think the ooma support is terrible.
#62121 by southsound
Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:52 pm
Larion383 wrote:I am an ooma user for almost a year with hub and scout. Periodically the audio path fails to function. There is dial tone,I dial but then there is no sound.

Where I am located I do not have another USA based phone and therefore cannot phone in to a competent tech person. I email (each time) explaining that everything "appears" normals, ie; lights, dial tone, etc, but no voice.
Overall, I think the ooma support is terrible.

May I ask where you are located and what kind of Internet provider you have? Is it DSL, Cable, Fiber, etc. and what are the rated speeds? Is there a possibility that your Internet connection is not as stable as it needs to be with VoIP? Most people report great service with the hub and scout. What kinds of solutions worked for solving your problems in the past?
#62144 by Larion383
Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:34 am
Southsound.....thank you for taking the trouble to respond.

To answer your questions:

I am in Mérida Yucatán Mexico and my internet is provided by Cablemas, the local cable TV company. I pay for and receive speeds of 1,400 kbps down and 240 kbps up. It is stable. The internet is occasionally off for short periods, typically during the night (maintenance?), but when it is on, it works fine.

My router and computers are downstream from the ooma hub and internet connection really, really, is just fine.

I had Vonage for quite a few years and now ooma for almost a year. While I do thank you for your interest, it is so frustrating to be repeatedly told my non-USA ISP may not be stable or fast enough to support VOIP. It works, OK? I can stream video and music etc, etc, on the computer. Voice on both Vonage (previously) and ooma works........... when it works!

The lousy ooma support via email keeps going over and over the same things and never even read what I have written before. YES, I rebooted, NO I haven't changed anything, YES, the internet is fine, YES, the tab is blue, and on and on and on.

There is dial tone and it dials. But no voice.

What has worked in the past........?
After about a week of progressively more frustrating emails, they finally escalate and a real technician seems to do something and it starts working again. Until the nex time.

Perhbaps I have a defective hub, I don't know. But I repeat my original assertion, the support is totally not there.

Oh, and here's a real joke. After I tell them I do not have (USA) phone service they repeatedly tell me I should "phone in" and I will be allowed to talk to a technician. The technician cannot call me at my Mexican number because it appears ooma can't afford the the long distance package.

If anyone in the forum can help, please do. Thanks for reading.
Larion383
#62153 by southsound
Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:58 pm
Just a couple of thoughts. Since you have cable it may be subject to some of the same issues we have here in the states. At periods of peak usage, the pipe is shared by too many people and either the speed or the quality of the connection may suffer. You may have already done this, but there is a pretty good speed test that simulates VoIP and running it several times over a period of time might add some insight. Speed Test

I'm not the sharpest at network issues, but it almost sounds like there might be a problem with ports being intermittantly blocked. During a time of problems, you might want to go to setup.ooma.com and see if the status page adds any information about what is going on. Maybe tommies or one of the other net gurus can add some additional insight.

Since you are not able to do much by landline, maybe this community can offer the support you need. We're glad you're here and hope you get things sorted out.