Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#3716 by sligg
Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:52 pm
I shut down my computer and phone connection every night. If a call to my number comes in there is silence (no ringing) on the caller's end and then after 20-30 seconds a voice comes on telling the caller that the party is not available and to leave a message after the tone.

Because of the long delay before VM is activated most callers will hang up.

Can this 20-30 second delay be shortened to one or two seconds?
#3728 by southsound
Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:37 pm
I assume that you are turning off your cable or DSL modem every night when you turn off your computer - possibly for security or to save a few dollars a year in power costs. The ooma box doesn't care if a computer is on or off - or even if you have one - but it does require a connection to the Internet.

I would consider leaving the modem and ooma turned on 24/7. If you don't want calls at night, just leave your modem on and press the voicemail button on your ooma hub for 3 seconds. It will turn red and the system will go into "do not disturb". Then the caller will get voicemail instantly. If you have the volume on the hub up and are using Premier services, you can even monitor their message and pick up if required.
#3839 by Dennis P
Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:30 pm
Southsound has some good advice. The power draw on the ooma box is de minimis when no calls are active. But in any case, if your ooma box is turned off, your calls should roll to voicemail right away (after we detect your system is down which should occur in less than 5 minutes). A 20-30 second delay with just silence would not be normal. Could you please contact customer service so we can see why this is happening?