Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#55847 by heilpern
Tue May 18, 2010 4:58 am
I would like to have the caller ID of my calls show a number other than my ooma number; is this generally possible? I see that there is a way to integrate Google Voice such that the Google Voice number is what is displayed, however it seems that option requires purchase of a second ooma number, which is more than I need / want.

My intentions: I do have a Google Voice number, but I wish to use voice mail via Google Voice rather than ooma. I would like the Google Voice number to be the only number I provide to people, and with regards to my mobile phone usage, this is already viable. (My {Android} phone is configured to place calls via Google Voice, and the CID reflects that.) Is this possible without paying for more than a Premier account with ooma?
#55848 by Groundhound
Tue May 18, 2010 5:19 am
The only way without using the extra number required for Ooma's Google Voice Extensions (GVE) is to dial into your GV account from your Ooma number and then press 2 to place an outbound call from GV. Aside from GVE, Ooma does not otherwise allow CID spoofing.
#55851 by heilpern
Tue May 18, 2010 5:57 am
Thanks for the response. That's unfortunate, and I can easily understand why general CID spoofing isn't possible.

A nice firmware upgrade would be to allow the box to be configured such that it placed outgoing calls through GV using the "call GV, press 2" method you describe, automatically. The reason my outbound calls from my mobile display the GV CID is because it does this automatically (and I can configure that on or off as I wish). In the event that my mobile cannot reach GV to place the call, it falls back to a normal placement, which is pretty rare.
#55923 by bw1
Tue May 18, 2010 12:45 pm
The Ooma Telo allows that through GVE. You have to have Premier to get GVE, but Premier will also give you a 2nd number to use with GVE - a Google Voice Virtual Number (GVVN).