Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#53558 by kayakmiami
Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:30 pm
Thank you all for the great information. The support people told me it would be 24-48 hours. I do not think they know how to fix my problem. After unplugging it and turning it back on, I was told to push the trash button and the stop button simultaneously, and it should go from flashing red to flashing blue/red to solid red. Only problem is, it remains flashing red and never goes to flashing blue/red. I will be looking into ups, once I get this fixed. :cry:
#53566 by amoney
Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:25 pm
kayakmiami wrote:Thank you all for the great information. The support people told me it would be 24-48 hours. I do not think they know how to fix my problem. After unplugging it and turning it back on, I was told to push the trash button and the stop button simultaneously, and it should go from flashing red to flashing blue/red to solid red. Only problem is, it remains flashing red and never goes to flashing blue/red. I will be looking into ups, once I get this fixed. :cry:

Lets recap what happened to get you to call support in the first place. As previously mentioned, things should have came back online once power was restored.

When the power was restored, what was the status of all your internet gear? Do you have DSL, Cable?? Do you have a seperate modem and router or combined?

Sometimes when power comes back on your deivces boot out of order and thus some devices that come after your modem do not get a working internet connection. In these cases you power off all your devices sort of just like the first time you installed everything. Turn them on one by one.

If everthing is still a no go, connect ONLY your computer to the Ooma HOME port, turn both devices, if the computer has wireless be sure to temp disable that. Open your web browser and go to setup.ooma.com, select NETWORK page and select Modem Port to use built in MAC address. This has been known to cause issues. Turn everything off and reconnect everything back how it was previously connected. Turn each device on one by one.

Give as much detailabout your setup for further assistance.

As far as the UPS goes, to give perspective, I had a APC (quality has wavered a little bit in the past but I still prefer them) branded 350 power a 32" CRT television for 20 minutes before it started to give out (naturaly that was on a new battery). After 3 years its about 5-10 min. A 350 is more than sufficient for small home network gear. As far as surge protection, I may be wrong but, because it is a UPS, it does not continue on LINE power. When a surge hits even the smallest of surges, it will jump over to battery for that brief period (a second). So perhaps the low surge rating (though I never noted on a APC brand) is ok. There are other UPS that have what is called AVR boost etc regulation (automatic voltage regulation). This is where the devices "conditions" the line power to to regulate it without having to go to battery mode. FYI, DO NOT connect a laser printer or like product that draws huge amount of power to the UPS battery outlet.
#53578 by lbmofo
Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:04 am
Davesworld wrote:
lbmofo wrote:BTW, Fry's just happened to have the CyberPower CP1500AVRT on sale so it costed me only $129.99, after $20 rebate, + tax. So, I'd look for a sale on these UPS units at your nearby stores.

That's a very good deal. I have a 1500 and a few of the next model down, 1350 I believe?

Yes. I think the 1500 I bought was even cheaper than the 1350s at the time because mine didn't have LCD. I wanted LCD but $ savings did me in :)
#54099 by kayakmiami
Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:49 am
I apologize for misinformation that was given to me by the support crew and what I thought was wrong. The problem, as I have since found out, was with the internet. That is why I was not able to reconnect right away. I am very glad to hear that Ooma normally will be easy to reboot. I guess it was one of those perfect storms, even my cell phone failed me during this time. I am still glad that I purchased Ooma, sound is great, message system is neat, and since it shows on email and the Ooma box, it is easy to notice messages. :D
#54194 by sfhub
Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:32 pm
An interesting side note.

Most UPS batteries have a lifetime of around 4-5yrs.

I found out something interesting about UPS design recently.

I would have thought even after the battery goes bad, the UPS would still work as a surge protector as long as the wall outlet was supplying power.

Unfortunately with some UPS designs, if the battery goes bad, power is no longer supplied to the attached devices, even if the wall outlet is supplying power. Also you might not get any advanced warning about a battery nearing death.

I noticed my APC UPSs have a feature called hot swap battery, meaning you can replace the battery while the UPS is running and the attached devices will continue to work throughout. I thought cool, nice feature, maybe I'll use it one day.

What I didn't realize was my TrippLite UPSs not having this feature implied that if the battery went bad, the UPS would no longer supply power even if the wall outlet was supplying power.

I found this out the hard way after a recent blackout that outlasted the UPSs power supply. When power was restored one of my TrippLites didn't come back on. None of the attached devices would power on. I verified the wall was supplying power. I though, probably just coincidence the UPS died at the same time.

On a whim, I replaced the battery on the bad unit with one from a good unit and lo-and-behold, the UPS started working again. I thought this was kind of strange but went ahead put the bad battery in 2 other TrippLite UPSs from different model years, and same thing, the UPSs just stopped working, no lights, no sound, no power even though the wall outlet was fine.

I then went through all my UPSs and just disconnected the batteries to see what would happen. A belkin UPS I got for free on Black Friday also stopped working when the battery was disconnected (simulating a dead battery situation) and of course the TrippLites all died. The APC UPSs continued to work, which makes sense since to support hot swap batteries they would need to work with the battery disconnected.

I never had a clue that not having Hot Swappable Batteries meant a UPS could become the power interrupter. I always thought that as a battery went bad, it would last fewer minutes during a power outage, eventually to the point where it would supply none. I didn't expect that when a battery went bad, the UPS device would just completely die and would basically disconnect the attached devices from the wall outlet.

I guess the moral of the story is to know what your UPS actually does when the battery goes bad and don't make assumptions. Also replace your UPS batteries on a set schedule, probably every 4yrs is good.
#54196 by sfhub
Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:34 pm
kayakmiami wrote:I guess it was one of those perfect storms, even my cell phone failed me during this time. I am still glad that I purchased Ooma, sound is great, message system is neat, and since it shows on email and the Ooma box, it is easy to notice messages. :D

Ironically the message notification through email, for at least some folks, seems to be broken right now. People are being notified with other subscriber's notifications.
#54205 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:50 pm
lbmofo wrote:
Davesworld wrote:
lbmofo wrote:BTW, Fry's just happened to have the CyberPower CP1500AVRT on sale so it costed me only $129.99, after $20 rebate, + tax. So, I'd look for a sale on these UPS units at your nearby stores.

That's a very good deal. I have a 1500 and a few of the next model down, 1350 I believe?

Yes. I think the 1500 I bought was even cheaper than the 1350s at the time because mine didn't have LCD. I wanted LCD but $ savings did me in :)

Through tomorrow, Fry's online has the CyperPower 1500VA Ups Battery Backup for $99.99 after rebate.
#79000 by micallen
Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:46 am
Lightning got my Telo Saturday night. I took it to my father in law's and plugged it into his adapter, and it lit up, so I assume it just zapped my adapter. What are my options for replacing the adapter?

Thanks,

Micallen
#79003 by thunderbird
Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:04 am
micallen wrote:Lightning got my Telo Saturday night. I took it to my father in law's and plugged it into his adapter, and it lit up, so I assume it just zapped my adapter. What are my options for replacing the adapter?

Thanks,

Micallen

Contact Ooma Customer Support and tell them that you power adapter quit working. They may give you another one if you are within the warrenty period.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#84768 by lbmofo
Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:24 pm

Through 8/14, Costco online, you can get:
CyberPower® 1500VA/900 Watts Uninterruptible Power Supply
Eight outlet. LCD diagnostic display.
$139.99 Delivered After $30 OFF

cyberpower.jpg
cyberpower.jpg (13.19 KiB) Viewed 3854 times