Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#50158 by Up2Late
Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:32 am
Okay, I just signed up to participate in this forum, and had to chuckle.

When I created my Ooma account, I was allowed up to 10 characters for a password... not very strong. The forum, on the other hand, allowed up to 30 characters!?

Oh well, better than my local credit union. Passwords are only 4 characters, and they make you change it monthly (which is useless).
#50161 by Groundhound
Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:13 am
Up2Late wrote:Okay, I just signed up to participate in this forum, and had to chuckle.

When I created my Ooma account, I was allowed up to 10 characters for a password... not very strong. The forum, on the other hand, allowed up to 30 characters!?

Oh well, better than my local credit union. Passwords are only 4 characters, and they make you change it monthly (which is useless).

Password length, at least for the forum is probably whatever the standard length is for phpBB, the forum software used here. At 30 characters its a bit of overkill for a forum. For the Ooma account, 10 characters is probably sufficient given that there's not a huge incentive beyond pure mischief for someone to try to crack it - make it a random string and it should be fine (I use random strings and a password manager with a multi-factor login). Now your credit union is a whole different issue, and indicative of a deeper problem than just the 4 character password string.

Edit: I just successfully changed my.ooma password to a 20 character string, so the 10 character limit may be just for the initial setup.
#50167 by bw1
Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:07 am
Up2Late wrote:I was allowed up to 10 characters for a password... not very strong.

It would take a computer performing 8 million guesses per second, 216,457 years and 4 months to crack a 10 character case-sensitive password, assuming all keyboard characters are allowed for the password.

A 4 character password takes 9.8 seconds.
#50227 by tommies
Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:28 pm
This is probably off topic, but I think all financial sites will lock you out after 3 failed attempts. Once, it not only locked me out, but suspended my credit card too. I have to call in to reactivate.

However, 4 characters pw, are you kidding, for a credit union? You should contact your local news stations and send the news people to harrass those incompetences
#50234 by murphy
Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:53 pm
tommies wrote:This is probably off topic, but I think all financial sites will lock you out after 3 failed attempts. Once, it not only locked me out, but suspended my credit card too. I have to call in to reactivate.

However, 4 characters pw, are you kidding, for a credit union? You should contact your local news stations and send the news people to harrass those incompetences

Most credit cards / checking cards still use a 4 digit pin.
#51178 by Up2Late
Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:37 pm
Well, I use Keepass, so I never even know any of my passwords. But still, 10 characters reads as 50 bits, and I'm used to seeing over 100.

Of course, like you said, the only reason (we can think of) to crack it would be for mischief, since no money can be transferred around.
#51203 by coldsteel
Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:21 am
Keepass is nice - Ive been using ilium's Ewallet (not free though) as it runs and syncs to my Ipod Touch and imho has a cleaner interface. As far as the whole password issue though if OOMA implements Oauth as I suggested in the suggestions section (http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7189) then we could just forget the whole password thing while opening up a range of other possibilities.
#51263 by tommies
Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:26 pm
I use a finger print reader, with PasswordSafe as a backup in case the reader fails.

on an earlier post
Most credit cards / checking cards still use a 4 digit pin.
I believe this is for cash advance, which requires you have to physically handle the card. The card can be clone, which I were a victim once.

This is wholly different animal compare to the credence that allows you to log in and manage your financial account.