Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#50018 by southsound
Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:13 pm
epox123 wrote:BEFORE YOU POST A RESPONSE REMEMBER THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!
please take the time to see my point of view in a positive way before you criticize my intelligence.

I think everyone who has posted so far has missing my point, LOL ok That's as clear as it gets...

I don't like freaking surprise on my bill, I was clearly defrauded and perhaps OOMA didn't mean it! But to ensure this doesn't happen again FIX IT NOW!

I'm glad that you realize that we, as fellow customers, may also be correct. You seem to love to rant and want us to fix it. We are all customers like yourself. Maybe not as bull headed or as unwilling to take correction, but we have all been as patient with you as possible. By the way, is it possible for you to complete a post without using freaking several times? It makes me wonder if I'm dealing with an adult. Of course, I'm just a customer - so don't accuse ooma of putting you in your place. It's just a peer to almost peer thing. :P

PS: In your first post, you asked if ooma thought their customers were stupid. I can assure you that they do not. They are an upstanding company that has made many of us happy we made the decision to use them. Now as to the rest of us, you really don't want the answer to that one. After your rants, you can guess the answer. Maybe you have seen the Jeff Foxworthy skit, "Here's Your Sign."

Darn, I made a commitment to myself to not be abusive to more than one fellow customer a week. Now I have to wait until Sunday for a new week to begin!
#50035 by epox123
Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:33 pm
Well I'm done arguing about this, if OOMA Wants to be tricky let them do it I can always go with Skype and use there ASUS device I pay $30.00 a full year and get everything OOMA has plus unlimited international calling.

Beats paying $90.00+ a month.

I wont be replying anymore, this was meant more for OOMA then the public. This is my feedback and my suggestion, you don't like it I don't care, but you will wish you had when you become the victim.

Even the representative agreed with me that OOMA should post actual prices.
As a mater of fact there are consumer protection laws that fall in with what I'm talking about.
#50046 by southsound
Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:45 pm
epox123 wrote:Well I'm done arguing about this.

All of this for twenty five cents! Good bye and sorry that ooma did not work out for you.
#50062 by Groundhound
Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:57 am
I think the OP raised a legitimate point, although in a way that was silly given the trivial amount of his loss. Ooma's statement of how the federal USF is charged implies that it is a flat $0.039 for each call instead of a percentage, and Ooma should clarify how the fee is applied.
#50074 by southsound
Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:41 am
Groundhound wrote:I think the OP raised a legitimate point, although in a way that was silly given the trivial amount of his loss. Ooma's statement of how the federal USF is charged implies that it is a flat $0.039 for each call instead of a percentage, and Ooma should clarify how the fee is applied.

Groundhound, you are a greatly respected friend and the last person who I would want to argue with on the forum, so please keep that in mind as I continue just a bit.

The problem here is that the OP is unwilling to read the notice that is clearly displayed on the pricing page.
Listed international calling rates do not include a mandated Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) fee. A 3.9¢ connection fee applies to all calls. This fee is waived for subscribers of our International Bundle.

Notice that there are three separate sentences. I have changed the color to make them a little more obvious. The 3.9¢ connection fee is not what has been applied on a per minute basis and is not the same thing as the FUSF fee. Dtalwar and oomg got it right: "per FCC, the FUSF for the 1st quarter of 2010 is 14.1%. Add 14.1% to $0.088 and that bumps up the rate to what you're seeing"

However... I think this is getting a little out of hand, possibly because of my comment regarding the OP and Jeff Foxworthy. I have never received an obscene email from an ooma forum user before this morning. Epox123 can be really nasty in a PM. I think I'll disable that feature for a little while to prevent abuse. Those who are close have my direct email.
#50081 by Groundhound
Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:50 am
Certainly no excuse for nasty PM's, and I've no concern for the OP's "loss". Perhaps Ooma should in some cases charge a special "nuisance fee" for those who sink to such levels. Having said that, I still think that Ooma should clarify the difference between the FUSF and the connection fee, since the way it is worded you could think they are one in the same - that's what I thought when I first read that paragraph. Stating what the current FUSF percent is or inserting the words "In addition" before the statement about the connection fee would eliminate that possible source of confusion.
#50107 by epox123
Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:50 pm
I'm not talking about the :x FEE :x I'm talking about the everything on that page

Currently states this...
Code: Select allDestination     Duration     Rate     Connection Fee
Costa Rica      1min        $0.088      3.9¢

Should say something more like this because, OOMA loves there customers, right?
Destination
Costa Rica

Price
$10.00

Service Fees
$4

Minutes

Total Cost
$14.00

Prices should be stated this clear or clearer on that page. It should also include other fees that maybe I missed.

Also another thing, the price that you get should not be changeable because when I buy something its mine. If I sell you a car would you like me to come to you a week later and take your tiers because I wanted to?

So please don't talk about the fee anymore "goodness" all I want is for the price to be displayed properly so even my kids or granny can understand. Theirs no reason to have wording on that page just display the proper price instead of making it look like its cheaper. I rather pay $14 then pay $10 and realize I got screwed with less mins.

By the way I only spent $10 and some of you think I'm a cheap *** but what if i would have spent more money I would have thought that I was getting more then what I really was and that's what I mean by defrauded.

I think if you take the time to see my view and if you do it in a positive way you can see how this could happen to some customers.
#50170 by oomg
Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:50 am
epox123 wrote:I'm not talking about the :x FEE :x I'm talking about the everything on that page

Currently states this...
Code: Select allDestination     Duration     Rate     Connection Fee
Costa Rica      1min        $0.088      3.9¢

Should say something more like this because, OOMA loves there customers, right?
Destination
Costa Rica

Price
$10.00

Service Fees
$4

Minutes

Total Cost
$14.00

Actually, it is your version that appears to be inaccurate. As I understand, the 3.9 cent connection fee is charged per connection, not per minute. So, if one were to make 100 calls of one minute or less, the connection fees would be $3.90. On the other hand, if one were to make a single 100 minute call the connection fee would be 3.9 cents.

epox123 wrote:Prices should be stated this clear or clearer on that page. It should also include other fees that maybe I missed. (Emphasis added in bold.)

"Lowest advertised rate per country. Rates subject to change without notice. Calls are charged at a per minute rate and rounded up to the minute. Listed international calling rates do not include a mandated Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) fee. A 3.9¢ connection fee applies to all calls. This fee is waived for subscribers of our International Bundle."

Ooma clearly states that they have the lowest "advertised rate per country" and that their "Listed international calling rates do not include" taxes, and a possible connection fee. Thus, I would have to say that you did not miss this information; you chose to ignore it.

epox123 wrote:Also another thing, the price that you get should not be changeable because when I buy something its mine. If I sell you a car would you like me to come to you a week later and take your tiers because I wanted to?

And in your particular case, the price was not changed. I pointed that out in my prior post:
"Yep... 25 x 0.088 = 2.20 x 1.141 = 2.5102 + 0.039 = 2.5492 So, $2.55 sounds pretty close."

Moreover, at best, your analogy is weak. Perhaps a better analogy would be the following: you see an advertisement in the local paper for a new set of golf clubs for $500... a price that is attractive to you. You rush down to the dealer with exactly $500 in your pocket only to find out that the dealer intends to add sales tax as required by law, leaving you with insufficient funds to purchase the golf clubs. Should he be required to sell you the golf clubs at the $500 price?

Aside from the foregoing, Ooma states:
"Lowest advertised rate per country. Rates subject to change without notice. Calls are charged at a per minute rate and rounded up to the minute. Listed international calling rates do not include a mandated Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) fee. A 3.9¢ connection fee applies to all calls. This fee is waived for subscribers of our International Bundle." (Emphasis added in bold.)

epox123 wrote:So please don't talk about the fee anymore "goodness" all I want is for the price to be displayed properly so even my kids or granny can understand. Theirs no reason to have wording on that page just display the proper price instead of making it look like its cheaper. I rather pay $14 then pay $10 and realize I got screwed with less mins.

Remember... "Rates subject to change without notice." So, let me ask, what was it that prevented you from inquiring about the taxes, etc. prior to utilizing the service?

epox123 wrote:By the way I only spent $10 and some of you think I'm a cheap *** but what if i would have spent more money I would have thought that I was getting more then what I really was and that's what I mean by defrauded.

Fraud? I hardly think so. According to the California Supreme Court, the elements required to support an action for fraud are: (a) misrepresentation (false representation, concealment, or nondisclosure) of a material fact; (b) knowledge of falsity on the part of the party making the representation; (c) intent to defraud, i.e., to induce reliance on the part of the party making the representation; (d) justifiable reliance on the part of the other party; and (e) resulting damage. The party alleging fraud must prove each of these elements. As I see it, you would not be able to prove any of the elements.

First, Ooma's advertised rate is in fact the amount Ooma receives. The fact that taxes and a connection charge are (or may be) added is disclosed. Given these disclosures, where is there any intent to defraud? Even assuming that you did, in fact, rely on the representation, given the disclosures, do you really think you would be viewed as having justifiably relied on the [alleged] misrepresentation. And, finally... what are your damages, if any?

epox123 wrote:I think if you take the time to see my view and if you do it in a positive way you can see how this could happen to some customers.

Yes, I can see how this could happen to some customers, particularly those that choose to ignore pertinent information. And on this point I am positive.
#50378 by sfhub
Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:11 pm
Ooma obviously did not defraud the OP.

However Ooma's pricing could be clearer.

For example, the could just put an example of a call charge at the top of the rates page, they could add an always up-to-date rate calculator, they could bundle in the FUSF fee.
#64633 by oomaok
Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:39 am
Epxo123 was right. ooma is making stupid trick here. Why do we as customer care what is FUSF fee. Ooma should just tell Epxo123 10.2 cent instead of $0.088 cents + FUSF. Should we care FUSF when we use pre-paid phone card? No, we do not. Do we care FUSF when we use skype? No, we do not. Do we care FUSF when we use G-talk? No, we do not. Now you know why Epxo123 and I are cheated by ooma.

BTW, can anyone tell me what is the exact rate for international calls based on this pape:
https://www.ooma.com/products/international-rates

So basic question is what will happen after using up 1000 minutes if I buy Basic->1000minutes /$9.99 a month. Am I too stupid to find out it at this page? Can those talents in this forum tell?

I am done with ooma. I am too stupid to be able to handle these 'normal' fee tricks.