Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#47241 by amoney
Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:59 pm
gunfyter wrote:
JTalbert wrote:
BBBoT wrote:The iPhone app is out - just doesn't seem to be working yet.
I saw it on the App store today for $9.99 and picked it up, but it always times out when trying to log in.

OMG, It makes sense Ooma, you release a handset that is a POS that does not work as advertised and expect people to spend $50 for that...

Now you release the Ooma app that is $10 and it does not work either! Ooma is batting a 1000!!!!!

I don't get the complaints about the handset. I like it. ... But for a total investment of $279 (from Amazon), I got the Telo and the handset... and $720 a year in lower AT&T bills. So next year at this time I will be $481 richer and I am sure in a relatively short period of time from now the current glitches will be ironed out.

I got the iPhone app. No it doesn't work, yet ... but I hope to use it on international calls soon ... as in using the iPhone to call home as I often spend the night outside CONUS. I expect that will save a lot more than $9.99 I paid for the App.

Its a "No Brainer".

People complain spending money, no matter how little, on a product that is suppose to work, yet does not. I have never seen a company release a product to retail sales and not being fully function. It is baffling how Ooma opperates. Sure Ooma has made headway with the Telo handset, but its just maddening.

Ooma no doubt is a money saver, but a good working quality product would be nice!!

If another VOIP competitor would come out that was a few bucks more than Ooma, that provided better working quality product, I would go in that direction. The cheapest product/service is not always the best. Your milage may vary... to each their own.
#47243 by jrg716
Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:07 pm
southsound - I don't disagree... As someone who writes code for a living, I totally understand that shifting deadlines are part of the deal. What I don't understand is the lack of follow-up from Ooma. There are several people who do work for Ooma who monitor these forums and there has been no feedback from them now that the app has hit the App Store. For those of us who spent the $9.99, I think we are entitled to a refund or information about when the app will really work.

Also, there has been no update to the App Store description of the app to indicate the true status (other than negative reviews)- so people can still spend $9.99 for a non-working app. If I'm buying the app, I should at least be told I'm buying the promise of functionality and not the real thing.

I'm a happy Ooma user who will continue using the product despite these shortcomings. It's just a little frustrating that every release of functionality and products is plagued with these little "mistakes".
#47268 by southsound
Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:48 pm
jrg716 wrote:southsound - I don't disagree... As someone who writes code for a living, I totally understand that shifting deadlines are part of the deal. What I don't understand is the lack of follow-up from Ooma. There are several people who do work for Ooma who monitor these forums and there has been no feedback from them now that the app has hit the App Store. For those of us who spent the $9.99, I think we are entitled to a refund or information about when the app will really work.

Also, there has been no update to the App Store description of the app to indicate the true status (other than negative reviews)- so people can still spend $9.99 for a non-working app. If I'm buying the app, I should at least be told I'm buying the promise of functionality and not the real thing.

I'm a happy Ooma user who will continue using the product despite these shortcomings. It's just a little frustrating that every release of functionality and products is plagued with these little "mistakes".

I think we are on the same page. And believe it or not, I think the lack of intervention from ooma moderators might be the holiday! Give me a break - you announce things on a day that is on every calendar as President's day and you don't maintain staaffing for the problems that might occour? I have not seen one post from Bobby B or Dennis P today regarding the iPhone app. My guess is that they are taking a well deserved day off. But why would ooma choose such a day to release the app? Maybe this is why Rich Buchanan is no longer with the company. I think things will get back to normal when the two superstars return to work on Tuesday. I have to be honest and say that Bobby B and Dennis P are the reason I stay with ooma. These two folks are among the hardest working, most costomer compassionate as they come. We are blessed that they are involved in the process. I don't know what Bobby B's title is, but Dennis P is Dennis Peng - the company's Vice President of Product Management. These two are stellar and the reason that ooma will succeed! Just MHOYMV. :cool:
#47274 by gunfyter
Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:08 pm
I agree it is aggravating to have something put out that's not ready ... but I would expect this will be sorted out soon.

For anyone who travels outside the country ... if I understand how this App will work ... I can call for free while outside the US on my iPhone...

instead of paying for example:

Country/Destination Code AT&T Standard International Roaming Rates AT&T World Traveler Rates

Bahamas 1 plus 242 $2.29 $1.99
Canada 1 plus Area Code $0.79 $0.59
Mexico 52 $0.99 $0.59

So as someone who spends 10 or more nights a year in foreign countries for work ... I look forward to using this App
#47277 by tonyquan
Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:12 pm
Looks like no one here is an actual iPhone developer. Some folks are asking, "why would ooma release the app to the store when it's not ready?" The honest truth of it is, for iPhone apps, it is solely Apple who decides when a submitted application will appear in the App Store. The developer of the application has absolutely no say over it. After Apple approves the app, it simply appears in the store. Apple gives you no indication of when it might appear, and no advance warning before the moment it appears. It could appear the day after you submit it, or, it could appear months later (although most of the time, it appears within a "few" weeks, for various values of a "few").

Now, if I were ooma, I would have had my infrastructure for the app ready the day I submitted it to Apple, given that the date the app would appear in the store can't be predicted. Perhaps ooma didn't understand that element, and is now caught a bit flat footed because the app appeared on a holiday weekend, etc. (this is not unheard of in the App Store--a number of new apps were released to the store by Apple in the final few days of 2009, when many high tech companies were closed for the holiday). Let's see what ooma does with this this week, if they still don't respond, I think there's a legitimate gripe.
#47278 by skellener
Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:34 pm
Well I've had Ooma for almost two years and haven't had any problems. It just works. Looking forward to trying the iPhone app when the backend eventually comes online. If anyone at Ooma reads this, I will gladly beta test the app. Just let me know.

I have a question - If you have the app open and you are logged in, will the iPhone app answer calls too? Or is it only for calling out?
#47315 by JTalbert
Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:45 am
gunfyter wrote:I don't get the complaints about the handset. I like it. ... But for a total investment of $279 (from Amazon), I got the Telo and the handset... and $720 a year in lower AT&T bills. So next year at this time I will be $441 richer and I am sure in a relatively short period of time from now the current glitches will be ironed out.

I got the iPhone app. No it doesn't work, yet ... but I hope to use it on international calls soon ... as in using the iPhone to call home as I often spend the night outside CONUS. I expect that will save a lot more than $9.99 I paid for the App.

Its a "No Brainer".

For sound quality the handset is excellent. Its one of the best sounding handsets I have ever used. But..

Pull out the box that handset came in, or look at the instructions about the FEATURES the phone has, and ummm try using some of them, IMPORTANT FEATURES at that.

Lets break down the FEATURES of the phone. this is taken from.

https://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-handset/features

Cordless Handset -- YUP ITS CORDLESS
Use your phone wherever you are in your house— you can add up to four handsets for added convenience.

DECT 6.0 - CHECK, ITS DECT 6.0 BABY!
Get superb sound quality, security and range without interfering with your Wi-Fi network or other home electronics.

Caller ID - CHECK, ITS GOT CALLER ID
See who’s calling before you answer it.

One-Touch Voicemail access YES! LOVE IT!
Check messages from anywhere in your house.

Online Phonebook - SCRATCHES HEAD. HMMM I CANT GET THIS FEATURE TO WORK, CAN ANYONE? UMMM NO, BECAUSE THIS "A.D.V.E.R.T.I.S.E.D F.E.A.T.U.R.E" IS NOT IMPLEMENTED YET, cough, ITS IN BETA
Download your phonebook to the Ooma Telo Handset and also access it online.

Speakerphone - YUP
Keep your hands free so you can multitask while taking a call.

Intercom - SURVEY SAYS... NO!
Use the intercom to talk between handsets and transfer calls.

Call log - YES IT DOES, BUT ITS SO CONFUSING AND NOT EASY TO REALLY MAKE IT OF ANY REAL USE
View all incoming calls, outgoing calls, numbers and duration of calls.

So about 33% of the features that Ooma advertises to SELL the phone do not work, and when will they work? If I had to guess maybe in 2-3 months when pure voice and all the other features are active.

The Ooma business model sucks big time.

So this is why the complaints about the handset. Would you buy a car that Advertised a V6 engine to get it home and find out that its really only a 4 banger? Or that the car will go 0-60 in 5 seconds, to try it and find out that it really doesnt, its really 0-60 in 9 seconds, BUT with a future upgrade it will be possible, without advertising that it really does not do whats advertised?

Ok, I will get off my high horse now.
#47329 by gunfyter
Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:42 am
You are right. It would be great if everything worked now. Or at the least a note that some featuresare planned to be activated in coming months with projected dates.

I am still happy. I tend to have more patience than almost anyone else I know. It has bitten me a few times.
#47333 by JTalbert
Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:07 am
I love the ability to send a call I dont want to take directly to voicemail, to be able to access voicemail with the press of one button, the speakerphone works well, I am getting use to the cheesy display, it could be better, but it does display a lot of information. If all the features worked, I would be extremely happy. I have not returned the handset because sometime, soon hopefully there will be an update and everything will work. I dont doubt they are working hard on getting everything to work. They hopefully want to make sure it really works well before they release all the features.

I am usually a patient person, and if on the Ooma handset box, it said some of these features listed will be available "soon" than I would be okay with that, But to not only advertises the features on the box and also on the wesite as being active is a bold face lie. Its companies lying to the customer that I cant tolerate.

Its a shame that Ben or any other forum moderators do not comment about this. I realize this posting is about the newly released, but no surprise, not working as advertised app, but with the phone not working as advertised and now the iPhone app, why should I give Ooma more of my money when they obviously do not have their act together.

I hope the app works soon and once it does, I will buy it, to have the ability to be visiting my in-laws and connect to their Wifi and make and take phone calls on my home line is a really cool feature.

gunfyter wrote:You are right. It would be great if everything worked now. Or at the least a note that some featuresare planned to be activated in coming months with projected dates.

I am still happy. I tend to have more patience than almost anyone else I know. It has bitten me a few times.
#47334 by Bobby B
Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:09 am
Unfortunately it was released for sale in the App store by mistake. If you've purchase the App, you can forward your App store receipt to Ooma Support to get a refund (there isn't a way to issue refunds in the App store).

The server infrastructure to support the SIP App won't be available until mid-March at the earliest. We'll send a note out to the blog and newsletter when it's ready to go.

BBBoT wrote:The iPhone app is out - just doesn't seem to be working yet.
I saw it on the App store today for $9.99 and picked it up, but it always times out when trying to log in.