Increasing calls to include Canada?

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
shmerls

Increasing calls to include Canada?

Post by shmerls » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Will Ooma ever include Canada along with the USA? Currently it costs $.14 a minute. My VerizonWireless rate is $.09 if I buy there international plan and pay $3.99 a month. If not, then the minute rate is $.49. Ouch. MagicJack includes US and Canada together with no extra cost to call Canada, but they do charge $20 a year for their service.

I now use Ooma for US calls, and MagicJack for Canada calls, but of course my computer needs to be on to use MagicJack. But I would rather pay an low one time rate and get Canada and support Ooma than another system if Ooma had one. Maybe the do and I just don't know about it?

amoney

Re: Increasing calls to include Canada?

Post by amoney » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:16 am

Previously I thought Ooma's $5 (500 min) plan was weak compared to the competition. After review, I guess it is not so bad it bascily covers the same international countries except for a few differences.

I do agree Canada should be on Ooma's list.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:00 am

shmerls wrote:Will Ooma ever include Canada along with the USA? Currently it costs $.14 a minute.
Just to clarify, Ooma's Canada rate is $0.014 per min.
You can use Google Voice to place the call from your Ooma phone for free.

shmerls

Post by shmerls » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:57 pm

Didn't know about Google Voice, watching some of their videos now. Seems you have to be invited first so I applied to them. To jump ahead.. is the process that I get a Google Voice phone # added to my account, then use the phone plugged into my Ooma and press 2 and then the number? I've been thinking of getting a Droid and that will force the issue of me importing my contacts to Google. If I do that, then to use Ooma and I correct the calls to Canada via Ooma will be even easier and I won't have to hand dial/press the numbers on my phone?