Use telo from laptop

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
EDog

Use telo from laptop

Post by EDog » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:01 pm

I'd love to be able to use my Telo from my laptop just like I can with Skype. I was shopping online the other day, found the item I wanted, looked for the local BestBuy phone number via their web site, the Skype software recognized the phone #, I clicked on it, and Skype dialed it for me (my one and only free land line call!). Had a great conversation with the clerk right through my laptop's external microphone (integrated with the web cam -- Sony VGN-FW250J). Sweet!

I'd love to be able to make calls Laptop->Telo, or Skype->Telo, etc. Also, it would be nice if I could forward my land line to my Skype account, and take calls in the hotel when I'm on the road via my laptop.

Tomcola

Re: Use telo from laptop

Post by Tomcola » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:43 pm

I have used X-Lite, a softphone, with a digital online phone system in the past. If Ooma could set the connection parameters in our account online, it may be possible to launch X-Lite on your PC and use it anywhere you have a connection. Check it out at http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite.html.

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:42 pm

Tomcola wrote: it may be possible to launch X-Lite on your PC and use it anywhere you have a connection. Check it out at http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite.html.
::Developer Tools
::Create customized SIP-based VoIP applications with our SDKs (Software Development Kits).
::C++ Edition COM Edition Active X - Web Edition View all

Hmmmmm, perhaps a nice, summer project for Ooma.
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:08 am

Of all the features I can think of that Ooma could add, the ability to make a phone call using my Ooma phone number from my personal computer is number one with a bullet! I sometimes have to make International phone calls when I'm away from the house and paying cell phone rates is killing me.

Seriously, I'd pay a premium (and I'm already a Premier member) for a "soft" Ooma.

Oh, and if you do make this a reality, *please* make sure it works on a Mac.

Thanks!