Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#2386 by Asok
Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:48 pm
It would be nice if the Ooma speaker could "speak" the caller ID for incoming calls.

I had a little device like this years ago and loved it. It just talked in kind of a computer voice, but seems like Ooma could do so much better. It would be nice to possibly read the number, or name, or custom text, or even a custom audio file I record for certain numbers.

It puts an end to the "everyone run to the phone to see who is calling" problem.
#2395 by scots
Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:11 am
Many models of Panasonic cordless phones have a Talking Caller ID feature. My Panasonic cordless phone speaks the name that shows on the Caller ID. Very nice so you don't have to get up and look to see who's calling.
#2419 by royzim
Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:30 pm
I have a modem that is capable of handling caller ID (it's an external USB modem that is series with my phone line and cost less than $20). I also have a shareware program, 'Audio Caller ID' (ACID) from http://www.beiley.com/acallerid/ that monitors that modem and announces the name and number thru your speakers. It has a number of cool features including optionally sending you an email containing the caller ID info. I've been using it for almost a year and it works great for me.

One feature I really like is the ability to return a call simply by double clicking an entry in ACID's call log. The number is dialed automatically thru the modem. A real time saver for me.

Give it a try -- it's shareware and certain features are disabled after 30 days, I think. No, I'm not associated with the company -- I'm just a happy customer.
#136646 by Stelcom66
Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:20 am
I had an RS232 Zoom modem years ago that had that feature along with software I purchased. And before that - a Nortel phone where you could record the spoken name for a given number. I did that for all known numbers. Any number without a name tag would be just spoken numerically. That went through the paging system, so CID displays weren't really necessary. It certainly would be nice to add that feature to the Telo as my phones don't have a CID announce feature, the Nortel no longer works.