Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#41403 by Questor
Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:45 pm
Hi,

I'm really new here and I like everything except... the "Press 1 to accept the call" when I set up call forwarding for my premier test period.

I set the Telo to forward like the blurb says, to my cell phone so I'll never miss a call.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only guy using a bluetooth while I drive. Here in CA I can't even touch my phone while I drive as its against the law.

'lo and behold, I answer a call and I get this "press 1" - hey now nothing in any of the documention I saw tells me how this is going to be implimented, but woah - I love this idea - but how about instead of "press 1", hang on for 3~4 seconds and if the line doesn't disconnect, transfer the call.

This call forwarding doesn't work at all like I expect. I noticed that a call got sucked back into the Ooma v-mail before I could answer before I even got the "press 1" - I'm a little debated on if this is good or not. I actually think it is, so keep that part, I'll just increase the time threshold for v-mail.
#41410 by jmassimilla
Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:37 am
They are working on making the "press 1 to accept" an option. Not sure when it will be implemented. Currently, the only time it will forward directly without having to press 1 is if you select the "Forward on internet outage" option. I've disconnected my hub from the internet and selected that option when I've wanted to forward calls and it's worked fine.
#41619 by lipmanc
Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:17 am
This is a BIGGIE!

I've been with Vonage for years. Never left, because NOBODY ELSE could provide multi-ring at their pricepoint. I bet that Vonage gained DOZENS of subscribers from my word-of-mouth excitement about the multi-ring (and who knows how many more subscribers from their word of mouth).

I SWITCHED TO OOMA BECAUSE OF MULTI-RING, and then I find out that it has the press 1 requirement. It's a safety hazzard for me, and if anyone gets into a crash because of it, lawers might have a field day.

Vonage's service rings to multiple numbers, and the first number that answers (even if it's the voice mail that answers) gets the call. Nothing to press to accept the call.

Ooma's Press 1 feature has some benefit for someone that wants to avoid their non-ooma voice mail (e.g., cell phone voice mail) taking the call, so it should be provided as an option so that people that want this capability can have it.

Whoever provides a Press 1 as an OPTION has the competition beat, in my opinion. Maybe If ooma turns the Press 1 into an option, Ooma will BEAT Vonage's offering. Maybe Vonage will introduce a Press 1 option. (They seem to be a leader in the "extra features" category.)
#41631 by Groundhound
Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:29 am
Making "Press 1" an option instead of a requirement is the change that no customer would argue with, and Ooma has stated in the past that it is being considered, but there has been no explanation AFAIK about what the holdup is - other than they have obviously been busy lately with new product roll-outs. Hopefully they will make clear their intentions soon. In the meantime the only workaround is to set your forward number on network outage and disconnect your Ooma when you leave - no "Press 1" needed in that case.

Ooma, the customers you lose over this issue are Premier customers. I'm truly puzzled why this problem is allowed to persist.
#41742 by Mido
Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:17 pm
What a silly useless option!! Not only it is an inconvenience for those using a Bluetooth headset like above, but it is even worse for people like me who use a PDA phone that requires a stylus to dial anything. By the time I realize it is a Ooma forwarded call and try to 1) remove my stylus, 2) unlock my phone, 3) Press the 1 key on the screen, the call has gone to voicemail! And that's when I am not driving. If I am driving, it is impossible for me to use 2 hands to answer such call.

Not sure why Ooma, did this. I don't see any value from it. But if they think some people might think it's cool or an advantage over leading VoIP providers, then they should make it optional.
Last edited by Mido on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#41744 by Mido
Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:22 pm
Oh by the way, I forgot to mention. My retailer has a 60-day return policy, so if this silly feature is not removed or made optional within the 60 days, I am returning my Ooma. I was smart enough not to cancel/port my current phone number.
#41761 by Groundhound
Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:28 pm
Mido wrote:Not sure why Ooma, did this. I don't see any value from it. But if they think some people might think it's cool or an advantage over leading VoIP providers, then they should make it optional.

I actually do see a value in it, but won't waste your time trying to convince you of it. We agree it should be a matter of choice.
#41858 by doug
Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:29 am
Mido wrote:Not sure why Ooma, did this. I don't see any value from it.

Here is at least one reason. You would need to make sure the multi-ring number (eg your cell phone) does not go to its own VM before you either answer on your ooma or have it go to ooma VM.

Most cell carriers will go straight to VM if your phone is off or out of coverage area. In that case, without the 1 confirmation, any call to your main number will get "answered" immediately by your cell VM and you can't even pick up at home.

When your cell phone is on, you must also make sure its number of rings is longer than ooma, or it could pick up first.

In my cases, I cannot alter the carrier number of rings (I have called and asked them). And even if I could, if my cell phone was off or out of coverage, it would pick up the call ahead of me being able to answer. NOT good.

So I'd have to cancel VM on my cell phone. If people call my ooma number, they could still leave a VM. If they call my cell directly, there would be no VM at all. Not only that, my carrier said they can't even remove VM from my account, or change the number of rings.

I need to keep trying other CS reps at the carrier, because that makes no sense to me...

But that is the primary "value" of the 1, in my opinion.
#41866 by Mido
Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:20 am
Groundhound wrote:Ooma, the customers you lose over this issue are Premier customers. I'm truly puzzled why this problem is allowed to persist.

Guess what?

I just canceled my account . Two reasons:

1) the "Press 1" on forwarded calls, and
2) the impossibility to forward to multiple numbers simultaneously (e.g. office and cell), which is a feature I have with my current VoIP provider.