Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#39264 by daet
Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:14 pm
wbertacchini wrote:I own a Ooma Hub. After a power outage, what is the proper sequence to power up again, or will it just start up again when the power comes back?

How do you have it connected?

Modem --- Ooma Hub --- router or Modem --- router --- Ooma Hub?

Power the devices in the order they are connected. If you have DSL, remember your connection is dependent on PPPoE authentication, and may take a little longer than with a cable modem.
#39269 by Mike-o-Matic
Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:30 pm
Daet's advice is sound, but personally, I am able to use a much lazier approach.

My cable modem, Ooma Hub, and router (which are connected in that sequence) are all plugged into the same power strip. To restart everything, I just kill the power strip, wait 5-10 seconds, and turn the power strip back on.

Luckily... and this is a CRITICAL detail ... my particular combination of hardware devices cooperates very well with my reckless procedure. The cable modem is ready before the Ooma, the Ooma is ready before the router, etc., and all goes well.

I'm sure this wouldn't work for everybody, I just got lucky, I suppose!

EDIT/ADDENDUM: If you're lucky enough to be in the same boat, ie. all devices powered-on simultaneously works OK for you, there's another handy facet that comes into play. Should you experience an unexpected power outage, everything can recover smoothly without your intervention when the power returns. :)
#39285 by wbertacchini
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:25 pm
So the sequence is Modem, Ooma, Router. I have a tec challenged spouse (husband), and he is the one that uses the phone most of the time. My fear is that if I am not home, and the power goes out (and then back on) the phone will not work. So if I can try the power strip thing, maybe, just maybe, I will be lucky too, and we will have peace and joy in our house. :)
Thanks for your answer.
#39289 by wbertacchini
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:29 pm
So what I am hearing is that they should be powered on in the sequence that they are set up. So in my case it is Modem, Ooma Hub, Router, so that is the sequence that they should be started up in case of a power outage. If I am lucky, they will power up that way when we have a power blip, too?
#39299 by Mike-o-Matic
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:46 pm
The difference in powering up individually is that you can vary the timing of each power-up. On the power strip, they all get juiced simultanously.

Otherwise, sounds like your configuration is similar to mine. "Time needed to become ready" for each device may vary though. Guess you'll have to try it and see how it goes.
#39319 by amoney
Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:32 pm
As a person in the IT industry, I highly recommend a UPS (battery backup power supply) for electronics. Even the small once can make you laugh at the power company failure as your devices continue to work. I even have a small one for my old 32" CRT television.

But to your question, things should come back up on their own. If there are issues just power up the devices once at the time in the order that the internet connection comes into your house and into yours computer devices including the telo... so hence...

1. Broadband modem
2. Router (if not integrated with the modem)
3. "clients" (such as Ooma or your computer)

Now if by chance you have the Ooma between a modem and router then power up accordingly, etc.
#39338 by Mike-o-Matic
Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:34 pm
I agree amoney, a UPS is never a bad idea! And a huge battery isn't critical for low power stuff like this, either, so a relatively low-end UPS would work fine.

Heck, if your networking equipment, ooma, and telephone all have backup power, you might even retain call-making ability... of course, that depends on your ISP's infrastructure as much as anything. But I have heard that some cable companies' infrastructure will continue to function, so long as you have independent power for your on-premise equipment. I've never tested that here though.
#39370 by amoney
Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:39 pm
Yes even a small 350 series UPS (I like APC brand) $40 bucks or whatever, powered my old 32"CRT television for 15 minutes heck I have my whole AV setup on just one (note thats a brand new UPS, after a year it will only hold for 5 min but hey works wonders for those power flickers). These small electronics will last forever (relatively speaking), and as long as your ISP infrastructure remains power you remain online. Local Comcast voice VOIP box has a small battery compartment for exactly that use/reason.

Cheers.
#39406 by joeed2
Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:33 am
I have my cable modem, Ooma Hub, and wireless telephone set all plugged into the same surge protector power strip. I just switch the power switch off, wait 5 or 10 seconds, then flip the switch back on.