Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#2210 by adkathuria
Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:31 pm
I am wondering if anybody has tried using OOMA in india (Mumbai).
I have a MTNL boradband connection.
Can anybody please share thoughts and experiences if it has worked?

Thank you very much
#76837 by vpkraja
Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:54 am
a month before I bught OOMA hub and installed in INDIA with BSNL broadband with 512MB connection, ring tone comes but the ooma light become red from green , I cannot make call and receive call also , some time it works but not working 99 % of the time , may be we need to configure something or BSNL disabling something we dont know , no one is to help. Magic jack works very good from india .
#76842 by thunderbird
Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 pm
vpkraja wrote:a month before I bught OOMA hub and installed in INDIA with BSNL broadband with 512MB connection, ring tone comes but the ooma light become red from green , I cannot make call and receive call also , some time it works but not working 99 % of the time , may be we need to configure something or BSNL disabling something we dont know , no one is to help. Magic jack works very good from india .

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ a few times, than click on left lower tab and post test results here.

Do you have US phone numbers assigned to your Hub?
#76855 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:32 pm
vpkraja wrote:a month before I bught OOMA hub and installed in INDIA with BSNL broadband with 512MB connection, ring tone comes but the ooma light become red from green , I cannot make call and receive call also , some time it works but not working 99 % of the time , may be we need to configure something or BSNL disabling something we dont know , no one is to help. Magic jack works very good from india .

Your ISP or setup must be the problem. I have a friend using his Hub in India and he loves it. He says the calls are crystal clear, just like being in the US. His ISP is Airtell Broadband in the city of Hyderabad. He also brought his Hub to numerous different locations within India and had no issues (inlaws, friends' apt etc).
#80050 by arkumar15
Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:51 am
I have sent telo to India thinking that i don't have to buy the adapter to it. Even telo wouldn't work. I have BSNL internet connection in a small town in AP. I am thinking that BSNL somehow disabled it. I am not a tech person and i do not know the details. Whenever i connect telo to internet, it just flashes red all the time. As we do not have other ISPs, i couldn't try with them.
#80059 by thunderbird
Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:15 pm
arkumar15 wrote:I have sent telo to India thinking that i don't have to buy the adapter to it. Even telo wouldn't work. I have BSNL internet connection in a small town in AP. I am thinking that BSNL somehow disabled it. I am not a tech person and i do not know the details. Whenever i connect telo to internet, it just flashes red all the time. As we do not have other ISPs, i couldn't try with them.

Run http://www.speedtest.net/ and post upload and download speeds here.

Are you using DSL In India?

Are you using a 240 VAC to 120 VAC stepdown power transformer, for the Ooma Telo, if the power in India is 240 VAC?
#80077 by nn5i
Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:54 pm
arkumar15 wrote:I have sent telo to India thinking that i don't have to buy the adapter to it. Even telo wouldn't work. I have BSNL internet connection in a small town in AP. I am thinking that BSNL somehow disabled it. I am not a tech person and i do not know the details. Whenever i connect telo to internet, it just flashes red all the time. As we do not have other ISPs, i couldn't try with them.

How are you connecting the Telo to the internet? Connecting an 8-conductor from the INTERNET jack on the Telo to a similar jack on the BSNL modem? Be sure you use the correct jacks and the correct cable; the six-conductor telephone cable won't work, though it will plug in.

In general, a more complete description of how you have things connected together is essential.
#80432 by arkumar15
Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:41 am
thunderbird wrote:

Run http://www.speedtest.net/ and post upload and download speeds here.

Are you using DSL In India?

Are you using a 240 VAC to 120 VAC stepdown power transformer, for the Ooma Telo, if the power in India is 240 VAC?

I don't think we need stepdown power transformer as ooma telo has 120-240 VAC power adapter. That's why I sent telo in first place. Yes, it is DSL connection. I think the provider is blocking the ports. But I am not sure about that. The speed is good enough as i have used other VOIP service before ooma telo.