Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#36961 by jstock
Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:39 pm
In trying out the new Contacts beta, I notice that if I have multiple numbers for a contact there seems to be no way to set the default number that's displayed. It seems to default to the last entered number. In some cases, this is not desirable

While this isn't much of a concern until the info is able to be synced with the handset, when that's supported, I'd like to be able to set default numbers or order them. i.e. Work first then Mobile etc. Perhaps Ooma has already factored this into the upcoming navigation on the handset, I'd like to see to see the option to make a number the default for a contact in the web interface though.
#36977 by bw1
Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:59 pm
I just checked this out and it seems to list the Mobile number as the default, regardless of the order you enter them.

I also would like to see the ability to set a default number and also something to indicate whether the number is mobile, home, work, etc.

I assume the contact that we enter replaces the caller id name displayed on our phone, unless our phone has its own contact list and then its caller id name would be displayed.
#36979 by jstock
Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:05 pm
bw1 wrote:I just checked this out and it seems to list the Mobile number as the default, regardless of the order you enter them.

I have one contact with Work and Home. Home is the number listed even though Work was entered first, and is first when I click on the contact name to edit the info, so I'd say it's not the Mobile number as default in every case.

Edit: Doh! Mobile #s are always first if a contact has one. There must be some weird order of precedence for the other categories. First in, first out would made more sense as default behavior imo.
#37525 by eYeks
Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:22 pm
In general, I am pleased to see the Contacts feature, however, it appears to be of little value... I was expecting ooma to pick the name from the Contacts entry and present it as the CallerID - but it does not do that.

The interface appears to be rather rudimentary - several of the issues are being discussed. Multiple numbers, being one. The UI should be modeled after some other well known contact manager - no need to invent the wheel from scratch.

Adding phone numbers manually is archaic - the best solution would be to just allow users to pick an existing online contact base and either pull all or selected contacts. Sites like Gmail, Yahoo, Plaxo, Outlook, Hotmail, etc. a simple import would be all that is needed.

My 2 cents,
\eYeks
#38514 by jjanger
Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:26 pm
I agree with Eyeks, and you should be able to import not just from online address books but also programs that reside on a hard drive. Without an import feature, Contacts is a more of a pain than it's worth.
#38545 by voipSB
Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:17 pm
I agree that an import feature would be very helpful! Also, it would be very helpful to be able to sort the list for un-grouped contacts.
#38790 by RickyB
Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:36 pm
Agreed. Google Contacts has an API - accessing that data shouldn't be too hard. If you go this route, you should also make sure you can "refresh" this data periodically, if not synchronize it outright, since it's easy to add numbers from the Telo handset. Those numbers should be added back to the primary contacts database.

I also agree, that the caller ID should be smart enough to use the name from the Contacts, if available.
#39971 by hadooj
Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:43 pm
i couldn't agree more with everyone's comments here...I'm new to this service and i'm confused on how they could have missed something as important as a contact list and the ability to sync all of your contacts to the platform. the optimal way would be either a simple .csv upload or a sync with your existing contact list with your google account online.....
honestly, the fit here is a no brainer....if one of the primary goals for purchasing this system is to help cut costs and minutes from your cellular provider as well as displace legacy pots technology.....the easiest feature on my cell phone is the contact list (currently using HTC magic/Android with google api sync).
For the development staff, this is something that can literally be done in a couple of hours working off of the portal already up and running.....can you please update the code for a bulk import option for the contacts? thank you
#40853 by bw1
Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:06 am
arvinderj wrote:Would really like to see the user entered contact names appear for CallerID.

I would think that's coming in another update.