Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#1809 by xlamierina
Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:13 pm
I just found out that ooma has a new system announced (Telo) with some cool features. I'm new to Ooma and actually just purchased a second Ooma system for my father as a gift. Do you know if it will be possible for an existing Ooma user to upgrade their hardware to the new telo system without paying the full retail price?

Thanks,
Biren
#1823 by donwob
Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:27 pm
What is about the tech industry that the consumers demand upgrades at a reduced price. AT&T makes you wait two years before you upgrade at the cost, or you pay an arm and a leg.

You don't see me bugging Toyota for the new version of there Camry just because they came out with a new model. Sony has never told me I get a discount on their latest TV.

Tech companies should not have to do it, Ooma should not have to do it.

I applaud Ooma for their product development and advances, and if they now have a better offering with a new platform, that requires me to purchase it again. I think it is fair to pay the retail price.

I want Ooma to continue to be in business and paying for new products, new relevant features is a way for Ooma. For Ooma to offset the new Telo, at the expense of not generating any new customers, or new revenue ($99 per year Premier - for $99 with the Telo) does not make much sense.

Ooma - as a happy customer, you won't piss me off by not giving me a discount.
#1834 by xlamierina
Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:19 am
Well I'm not expecting them to, but no harm in asking. I'm still in my 30 day return window. Anyway I don't think the request is unreasonable because I won't be setting up a new line of service. If a new user buys it, they'll need a new number and account and will increase the demand on their system by another user. If an existing user upgrades, that is not the case.

If you take your toyota back to the dealer and get the new one, you will get a trade in credit and not pay full retail. If you buy a new Sony TV you can sell the old one on eBay. If I buy a new ooma, I can't sell the old one without forefitting my account, can I? Anyone ever bought a used ooma on eBay? Did it work OK?
#1835 by scots
Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:44 am
You probably would be able to sell it on eBay or elsewhere. The new Telo would replace your current hub/scout setup. It would seem to me that the hub would be deactivated when one would switch to the Telo, and then someone else could reactivate the old hub.
#1853 by brwilliams
Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:46 am
One thing ooma might want to consider in adding to their new ooma Telo is to add talking caller id. Right now I have a Panasonic wireless that has this feature. We love it because we do not have to wait for a person to start to leave a message before we know who it is, nor do we have to get up and look at the display.
#1856 by xlamierina
Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:21 pm
yeah, but very few of those oomas on ebay are used. they are all new, and unactivated. has anyone out there purchased a used one before?