Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#27663 by ag62
Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:49 pm
I get this entry in my log every 5 seconds when I'm on the phone. All knowdledge base articles talk about outbound ports and nothing about inbound. Do I need to open something up on the inbound side as well. Note that the traffic is to firewall ip and not to OOMA hub.Thanks

xxxxxxx kernel: [103550.155950] Shorewall:net2fw:DROP:IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=208.83.244.92 DST=xx.xx.xx.xx LEN=92 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x20 TTL=47 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=3480 DPT=49085 LEN=72
#27703 by DougInAZ
Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:18 am
Here is the list of ports I received when I had a lot of trouble getting ooma to work with my Motorola surfboard modem's built-in firewall. They are posted in a message with "motorola + surfboard + modem" in the header. There was one FAQ that addressed this topic. It was incomplete and I submited changes to it months ago because it failed to list some ports as inbound.

The list below is per Dennis Peng 6/17/09:
I think we have compiled a comprehensive list or ports split by inbound and outbound.

Inbound UDP
1194, 49000-50000

Outbound UDP
53, 123, 514, 1194, 3480, 10000-20000

Outbound TCP

note: port 1194 is both in and outbound UDP.
=======================
If you don't have at least these ports open, I doubt everything would work. Also, I'm not so sure that I don't also get a regular entry in my firewall log because that's just the way it works; I quit worrying about it when ooma started to work and it didn't mess up my internet connection.
I believe an option to opening these ports for ooma is to put ooma in the router's DMZ.
#27722 by ag62
Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:54 pm
My outboound ports are open and everything seems to be working correctly. I'm just wondering about inbound UDP traffic and what does it mean if it is being dropped. Perhaps, this is part of QoS which I don't use.
#129067 by deinspanjer
Tue May 12, 2015 5:21 pm
Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but the information is relevant to me and neither the OP nor myself have fully sorted it out yet.

I have my Ooma inside a pfSense firewall/router. Currently have outbound connections from the LAN to the WAN default allowed. The Ooma takes a minute or so to boot, and when finished, it shows a successful connection and I can make and receive calls.

However, I noticed that my firewall is rejecting some inbound packets from one of the ooma VPN servers to my gateway. The source port is 1194 and the destination is a high number.

I'm not sure why there are inbound connection attempts outside of a normal response to the outgoing connections. The Ooma documentation only explicitly mentions outbound ports here: ( https://www.ooma.com/app/support/advance ... vice-ports ).

Should I configure my firewall to allow this inbound connection for optimal service?

I'll probably call Ooma support tomorrow about it, but I suspect it will take a while to get someone to break script and understand what I'm asking and get an answer so I decided to post here too.