Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#27728 by RealDave
Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:56 am
daet wrote:
ggilman wrote:
RealDave wrote:Reserve the IP address/make the DHCP address static is six of one/half dozen of the other.

Not really quite equal. If anything changes in your setup, (DNS Server for example), DHCP reservation will automatically propagate changes after some time.

I agree with you - using a static IP address isn't the same as using DHCP reservation.

Ahhhhh. Ok, I see the misunderstanding.

I wasn't recommending making the IP address static on the ooma. I thought that was obvious when I mentioned not logging into the ooma.

Look for the IP address the router assigns to the ooma and make that ip address static in the DHCP pool.

The reason I recommended putting the ooma on the DMZ is to keep from having to make all of the rules to allow inbound traffic through the firewall.
#27735 by ggilman
Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:22 am
RealDave wrote:The reason I recommended putting the ooma on the DMZ is to keep from having to make all of the rules to allow inbound traffic through the firewall.

But it's not necessary at all. The system will work fine without any port forwarding/DMZ/etc... You are just introducing an unnecessary vulnerability to your network.