Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#27101 by allo
Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:02 pm
Lola wrote:Advantages of ooma over google voice
1. Google voice login is tied to a single person, right now its tied to my e-mail, so we ended up getting a second email and second account.
2. If you use google voice voicemail then you cant get the scout to blink with message waiting, no visual notice.
3. BIG ONE -You cant "voice mail screen" in that once the voice mail starts, you cant listen to what the caller wants and then decide to take the phone in the middle of the call. This is a premier feature.
4. Google Voice has no number porting.
5. I dont think you get outbound callerid name when calling from a google voice number, meaning when displaying the google voice number outbound in the callerid, my name doesnt go out. Not very professional.
6. Community black list - a few more choices.

I wonder if there is an official list of these, but this is what i can come up with off the top of my head.

Oops! I missed those! Specially #3.

-
#27107 by southsound
Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:21 pm
Just some corerections listed below in red:
Lola wrote:Advantages of ooma over google voice
1. Google voice login is tied to a single person, right now its tied to my e-mail, so we ended up getting a second email and second account.
It's easy to forward your GV mailbox to your main email address so although you actually have a gmail account, you don't have to check it separately.
2. If you use google voice voicemail then you cant get the scout to blink with message waiting, no visual notice.
True now, but from what ooma has said about Premier GV Extensions it will.
3. BIG ONE -You cant "voice mail screen" in that once the voice mail starts, you cant listen to what the caller wants and then decide to take the phone in the middle of the call. This is a premier feature.
You can do this now with GV if you use call presentation. Afte the call is identified you have a choice of pressing 1 to take the call or 2 to send it to voicemail. If you do nothing, it goes to voicemail also. If you press 2 and stay on the line, you can hear the caller's message. Press the * key and you can join the conversation. Slick!
4. Google Voice has no number porting.
5. I dont think you get outbound callerid name when calling from a google voice number, meaning when displaying the google voice number outbound in the callerid, my name doesnt go out. Not very professional.
I've had ooma since February. I've had many open and closed tickets. CName on my caller ID is still Unavailable. Live with it.
6. Community black list - a few more choices.
GV does allow you to set up groups that are handled in different ways - including where they will ring depending on who is calling.

I wonder if there is an official list of these, but this is what i can come up with off the top of my head.

Don't get me wrong. ooma is a wonderful VOIP system with a lot of great features. I have both the hub/scout and a Telo. But GV is a wonderful phone management product. I can't wait to see the seemless integration when Premier GV Extensions become available!
#27855 by njj100
Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:36 pm
I have Google Voice. Can I forward calls made to my Ooma number to my Google voice number and then answer at one of my numbers associated with Google Voice? Or won't that work since the receiving party (in this case Google voice) needs to press 1 to accept the call. Or will it work since the call is forwarded automatically...no ring on the google number ? Either way, I think this is the one and only year that I will pay for Ooma Premier. I loved AT&T CAllVantage and am so sorry that they are discontinuing it.
#27952 by karalabe
Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:08 pm
You can voice mail screen with GV. You just have to enable screening mode and press 3, I think, when picking up.
I am surprised nobody is mentioning one of the greatest features of GV- voice mail transcription. You get your messages transcribed in an e-mail. This is HUGE!
#27959 by allo
Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:42 pm
karalabe wrote:You can voice mail screen with GV. You just have to enable screening mode and press 3, I think, when picking up.
I am surprised nobody is mentioning one of the greatest features of GV- voice mail transcription. You get your messages transcribed in an e-mail. This is HUGE!

nice feature... but like all speech recognition software, it is full of erroneous transcripts.
#27973 by tailwheel
Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:43 pm
I have a question for those people using google voice as a front end to either ooma or cell phone. Wondering how google voice affects call quality. I would think at the very least GV would add some delay. I'll be getting a new cell phone in the near future and because of the flexibility of of GV, I'd like to try using it as a front end to the cell.
Thanks.
#27980 by allo
Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:23 pm
tailwheel wrote:I have a question for those people using google voice as a front end to either ooma or cell phone. Wondering how google voice affects call quality. I would think at the very least GV would add some delay. I'll be getting a new cell phone in the near future and because of the flexibility of of GV, I'd like to try using it as a front end to the cell.
Thanks.

No noticeable delay that can measured. I thought about that when I first used GV as a front end, and it is hard to notice any whatsoever.
#28003 by karalabe
Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:55 am
FV does introduce a delay, which is for the most part not noticeable but sometimes it is. Especially when the calling party is a cell phone. Also, the geographical location of the parties matter too though this is just anecdotal personal experience.
#28067 by fishmister
Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:13 am
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. When a google voice call is routed to my Ooma line I have more issues with call quality.

I was using my GV number for coworkers to call me when working from home. After a while I switched back because it was not dependable enough. Now co-workers call me on my Ooma number and it works fine.

It is almost as though the VOIP to VOIP doesn't work well. In other words the call coming through GV VOIP and connecting to Ooma VOIP introduces more call quality issues.
#28087 by Aveamantium
Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:02 am
Lately I've been having all kinds of problems with GV... In my case it is adding enough delay to make it as bad, if not worse, as a bad cell connection. Also, when people call my GV number and it is sent to my Hub the voice breaks out terribly. If I call them back directly, the voice quality is fine. I've pretty much abandoned GV at this point.