Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#26594 by phayes38
Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:30 pm
I know Premier has more features, but some seem similar. For instance the emailing of a voicemail. Also, the forwarding to a cell phone. Are any of you deciding between using google voice and ooma premiere? What way are you leaning and why?
#26685 by southsound
Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:24 am
I totally agree with Groundhound. I use several GV accounts as a front end for our ooma hub, ooma Telo, landline, and cell phone. I think when we finally see the Premier GV Extensions we will be amazed at the integration of two awesome technologies. Right now, if all I needed was dialtone, voicemail, call screening, and multiring, I'd just use a basic Telo and use GV as a front end. YMMV. :cool:
#26699 by WayneDsr
Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:00 pm
I use my GV number mainly for my cell phone. My cell has no voicemail, GV gives me that for free. Also, when I'm home, I enable my Telo to ring along with my cell phone to save minutes on the cell.
Can't wail for ooma and GV to unite!

Wayne
#26712 by Lola
Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm
If I had been allowed to port our phone number into google voice, I probably would not have gotten premier. Premier is cool cause I can still have our old phone number and the multi-ring is set to the google voice number, and thats where the calls are directed into different cells and/or gizmo accounts based on the group the caller belongs to. I love being able to set different rules to different groups of people. I also didnt like that if its the other way around (people calling GV and then getting forwarded to our home phone) then the call block does not work.

Google Voices international rates are better than oomas, so I have programmed the one-click of my phone to dial GVnumber+P+2+P+phone number to be dialed, which works great for calls to 10 digit numbers, but not countries where you have to include 011+country code, since that puts it over the max number of digits, so I am stuck with having to initiate those through GV dialer.
#26724 by MikeekiM
Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:15 pm
Hi Lola...

Just a question... You said if you could have ported your number to GV, that you would likely not have pursued OP (ooma premier)...

That said, it sounds like you are actually happier with OP forwarding to GV and then have the distribution, versus straight to GV... Am I interpreting you correctly?
#26843 by lohertz
Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:56 pm
I prefer the google voice. I'm all about the cheap and with GV I can get "multi-ring" for free.
The nice parts about GV
  • Voice mail is transcribed and emailed to me! Along with Exchange support on my WM phone and gmail, its instant
  • I can schedule what phones ring so when I'm at work, only my cell rings
  • I can make calls and have GV as caller ID # (albeit, its a pain in the ass to get a decent dialer on a WM that integrates GV and there is "no native" support on ooma (yet and I have to pat for it)

Premier cost $$$$$ and doesn't necessarily do all the things GV does, namely mobile web support, native dialer for cell.
#26869 by Lola
Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:27 pm
Mikeeki

My requirements were porting my number and call forwarding to cell phone for business contacts. I am pretty happy with ooma premier, and its nice to have the second instant line and call blocking, but probably would not have paid for it if I could have ported to GV. I have had my number for so many years, I am attached to it.
#27007 by allo
Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:08 pm
phayes38 wrote:I know Premier has more features, but some seem similar. For instance the emailing of a voicemail. Also, the forwarding to a cell phone. Are any of you deciding between using google voice and ooma premiere? What way are you leaning and why?

I personally don't see any compelling reason to sign up for Premier when Google Voice is free: with little tweaking GV can easily be substituted, and it will do 90%+ of the things Premier does, and sometimes even more : like Call Forwarding to several phones or Voice Mail Storage: Google= 8 GB , OOMA= 1 GB ( both are way over the amount anyone needs!)
The only 2 things Premier has over GV are:
1- 2nd phone line
2- Customer Support. ( even though one sometimes gets better help in Forums)

PS. I don't think people are as tied to their phones today as they used to be, specially the land-line which is becoming more and more irrelevant like the USPS (snail mail). I personally prefer using, whenever possible, the Internet (email); I can do that at any hour of the day or night ; without concerns of disrupting someone's meal/sleep/work...or wasting my time!

#27089 by Lola
Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:53 pm
Advantages of ooma over google voice
1. Google voice login is tied to a single person, right now its tied to my e-mail, so we ended up getting a second email and second account.
2. If you use google voice voicemail then you cant get the scout to blink with message waiting, no visual notice.
3. BIG ONE -You cant "voice mail screen" in that once the voice mail starts, you cant listen to what the caller wants and then decide to take the phone in the middle of the call. This is a premier feature.
4. Google Voice has no number porting.
5. I dont think you get outbound callerid name when calling from a google voice number, meaning when displaying the google voice number outbound in the callerid, my name doesnt go out. Not very professional.
6. Community black list - a few more choices.

I wonder if there is an official list of these, but this is what i can come up with off the top of my head.