Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#25770 by purc1234
Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:54 pm
After 5 weeks since buying the OOMA hardware, we are still waiting for our number to port from our current provider. I called OOMA customer support and they told me they have already sent the request. I called our current provider and they say they haven't received any port request.

So, I called back OOMA customer support. The support person tells me that my current provider is LYING to me because they don't want to lose me as a customer. Yes, you heard right, OOMA's customer service actually told me that. Give me a break, I'm not going to believe that for a second. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL!!!

I'm not sure what to do next. I'd really like to keep the OOMA hardware, but I haven't been able to use it for the past 5 weeks and who knows when OOMA is going to get their act together. This has been a HORRIBLE experience!
#25773 by niknak
Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:10 pm
if ooma sent in the request there is really noting more they can do until the "losing" company releases the number. they can certainly drag their feet to delay the process especially if there are conditions on the line which would hold up the port
conditions could include extra calling features still active, money owed on past bills, account name /number mismatch
#25785 by purc1234
Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:04 pm
It would be one thing if my current provider acknowledged receiving the port request. However, I'm not convinced they have received it. They can't act on a request they haven't received.

If I order a pizza, but the pizza shop never receives the order, how can I expect to ever receive my pizza? OOMA really needs to follow up with the provider to verify receipt of the request. I see no reason why they would "LIE" to me as the OOMA customer service person indicated.
#25796 by niknak
Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:41 pm
...if ooma sent in the request...

you are right but I can't imagine ooma holding up the process for 5 weeks
did you get the confirmation email from ooma's LNP department?
#25866 by purc1234
Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:53 am
Yes, I received the port request email from OOMA. But again, that's not proof that my current provider actually received the request from OOMA. That only confirms that OOMA received the $40 I paid them. I have a feeling 1 month from now I could still be waiting for the port because my provider doesn't know anything about it.
#25867 by hpepper
Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:02 am
Also, double check the information provided. If the company that currently has the number receives an innacurate port request, they may just drop it. They sometimes don't go out of their way to let the porting company (Ooma) know there was a problem.

At my work, we were porting a number from a cell to another cell carrier and the street name was misspelled and that kept the port from occurring. (Found out later after many inquiries by phone and e-mail)
#25872 by purc1234
Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:18 am
You're missing my point. My current provider has NEVER received a port request. I guess you could argue that all of the information is incorrect because it's missing! :) Seriously though, if they don't have a port request, it really doesn't matter if the information was right or wrong. It has to get into their hands FIRST before any of that is of concern.
#25878 by niknak
Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:39 am
there can be up to 4 companies involved in porting a number if your old company was another VOIP service provider and not a telephone company
you might be better off cancelling the request with ooma and getting your money back
once you get your refund, out the request through again
#26029 by purc1234
Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:55 pm
Good point. Maybe it is time to get my money refunded. After almost 2 months, I still haven't been able to use the OOMA hardware I purchased. Perhaps I'd be better off to return the hardware for a refund and stay with my current provider.

I've ported numbers in the past, and it's never taken this long. What a waste of my time. :|
#26036 by Groundhound
Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:10 pm
purc1234 wrote:Perhaps I'd be better off to return the hardware for a refund and stay with my current provider.

Looks like saying "we never got it" is a good strategy for the losing provider after all. Ooma can provide a document that they say was sent (LOA) and they have incentive to make it happen. The other provider provides no proof - just a claim they didn't receive it, and has incentive for it to fail. You, of course, have to choose who to believe.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests