Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#25604 by franklasvegas
Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:14 pm
Hello All:

Upgraded from Hub/Scout to Telo a couple of days ago.

Noticed yesterday and today that when I dial a number I hear a definite humming while the number is ringing, As soon as the other end connects (whether answered to going into voicemail) the humming stops.

Not an end of the world thing - just annoying.

Thoughts?

Setup: Cable to Telo - Telo to router.

Thanks!
#25606 by WayneDsr
Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:21 pm
You will be getting a few responses from the group because it is a known issue for some.
One thing you may want to do is try the power supply from the SCOUT (NOT THE HUB) and see if that makes any difference.

Other's with the problem will chime in here I'm sure.

ahhh Vegas, my favorite city......

Wayne
#25614 by Quicksprj
Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:53 pm
Switching power cords did not work for me. The humming noise for me continues into the conversation. The only way I have been able to get rid of it is dial *99 before dialing the number. This causes a studdered dial tone but stops the humm if it is the same thing I am experiencing.
#25625 by franklasvegas
Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:08 pm
Quicksprj:

Did you used to have the Hub/Scout? Was it OK with that?

My Hub/Scout was fine. This is only since switching out to the Telo. When it connects the clarity is great. The setup is the same as my Hub/Scout - plugged into same power strip, etc.

If this is "known" I am concerned as my 30 days to return to fry's is ticking away...

Thanks!
#25727 by niknak
Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:20 pm
...plugged into same power strip...

try temporarily plugging it in directly into the wall outlet and see if it makes a difference
#25746 by Leeway
Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
I don't get the humming sound if I use redial but I do on the original dial. What's that about?
#25834 by franklasvegas
Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:34 pm
Here is an email response I received from Dennis:

"As a test, can you try dialing *99 prior to making a call and see if you still hear the buzz? If you don't hear the buzz, then that is a known problem that we are working on with the default codec that we are using. This would be a software fix and would not be indicative of a hardware problem with the unit. Thanks."

It has been on and off today - the *99 seemed to eliminate it but I will try it more and will also see if "redial" makes a difference.
#26004 by franklasvegas
Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:59 pm
Interesting addition...

I called the Trump Hotel today (local number).

The humming occurred while ringing - went away as soon as they answered.

I had to be transferred twice - each time they put me on hold and the new extension was ringing - the humming picked back up but when the person at that extension answered it stopped.

Seems strange.
#26022 by murphy
Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:33 pm
The hum sounds like somewhere in the audio chain is a small amount of hum. When no one is talking the AGC for an amplifier ramps up to full gain. As soon as audio begins again the gain is cranked back down and the hum level is too low to be heard.
#26028 by Quicksprj
Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:42 pm
Frank, to answer your question I had absolutely no issues with my hub or scout. I helped test out the telo along with many others and notified ooma about the issue as soon as I experienced it. Some folks had luck switching the power cord with the scout since it is same volts/amps. I tried unplugging my scout and using the plug fir my telo but still heard the humm noise. I can get it to stop by dialing *99 first but would rather not have to do that since most of the to
e I forget until I've dialed and start hearing the humm. I am confident ooma will fix this so in my opinion it's not a reason to return the unit. The handsets are gonna make the telo really shine once released.