Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#25301 by tjchrist
Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:58 pm
I signed up for a trial of Magicjack last month, got it, and wasn't all that impressed. I couldn't port my existing number (Time Warner Digital Phone), had to leave the PC on, etc. etc...

So after some searching online I came across Ooma. I did a bunch of research and was impressed at the proposition. This was 1 week ago, just after the Telo was released. So I packaged up my Magicjack and shipped it back before my trial period expired, so I was not charged. Then began the search online for the best price...

The best deal I found was to buy online from Staples using a $50 off $150 coupon. OK, so I had to buy the coupon from eBay, but it was only $3. My Staples order shipped site to store in 5 days (arrived today). To my surprise, when I placed my order they gave me a free 8GB USB drive. Nice bonus.

I hooked it up today and am now up and running with a temporary local number. I plan on porting my number over after I give it a few days or so of kicking the tires. I can't wait to say goodbye to $35/month digital phone charges. The rest of my family doesn't like change. But hopefully I will be able to make the switch silently and the only change they will notice is a strange new dialtone...
#25305 by Groundhound
Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:04 pm
Congratulations on your successful setup. On the day your port goes through, you should expect a few hours of your ported number not working during the change.
#25322 by doug
Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:31 pm
Groundhound wrote:Congratulations on your successful setup. On the day your port goes through, you should expect a few hours of your ported number not working during the change.

Although that is not necessarily true. Mine was down for 15 minutes at the most on the day of the port, and it happened after 6:30pm local time so was very much a non-issue for me. But you need to be prepared for it to potentially be a few hours.
#25327 by Leeway
Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:41 pm
Good for you and welcome to the happy ooma users group.

It is always nice when someone takes the time to come in and tell all of us about his/her happy experience.

Thank you for that !!! Enjoy your ooma and your new dialtone. The family will not even notice it after a couple of days.