Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#23196 by Rhythmic
Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:44 pm
Last night I received and, after an agonizing and uncooporative online activation proceadure, my Ooma system was finally online. I then went to upgrade my system to Ooma Premier to start the porting processes of my current land line number and the website went down for a couple of hours. Once it came back, the price for Premier went up from $99 to $119!

Here I did my research, purchased Ooma for two line support at a cost of $99 a year and they up and pulled a bait and switch on me!

I don't know if anyone else had this issue, but does anyone have any recommendations? So far I'm getting more and more disappointed by my Ooma experience with a poor activation process (there is a silly DID reservation bug that I'm sure hasn't been addressed yet), broken toll free support (even the toll free tech number doesn't support DTMF), ignorant tech support agent (his solution to everything was restart the browser), and then an online service black out to only find out I had to dish more money than was told when I purchased the system.

Honestly, if this can't be resolved right then I'm calling shananigans, getting my money back via the 30 day guarantee, and (drum roll please) complete my first review on Amazon (along with a few other sites).

-:/
#23349 by MarkSly
Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:46 am
Looks like you're a victim of bad timing... Ooma just changed their terms and conditions on Sept 30 or Oct 1 to coincide with the release of their new Telo hardware.

Pricing for the Premier plan has gone up unless you're an existing customer. I'd try to argue that you purchased the hardware under the older T&C plan, so you deserve the lower rate.

I've been waiting to get a Telo for a few months now; if I'd known that the T&C's were going to change, I probably would've pulled the switch long ago and bought the older hub & scout hardware.

As it is, Ooma is still the cheapest option I can find anywhere, so I'll be moving forward with my switch to Ooma.

-MarkSly

P.S. Unless you've bought the new Telo hardware. The new T&C's apply to this phone. I suspect this is one of the reasons the product was delayed. I doubt you'll get Ooma to agree to the old plan on the new phone. If you buy the older hardware, you should get the free voicemail on the basic plan, but the Premier rate will still be $9.99/mo or $119.99/year.
#23608 by Rhythmic
Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:59 pm
georget99 wrote:If prior "old" subscribers are unaffected, I wonder if the month-to-month premier customers will still pay $12.99.

Lol, nice observation.

As for my issue, it looks like Ooma will honor the $99 rate so as long as subscribers purchase it by Oct. 31st. Finally some good news.

Just to let any Ooma employees know, there is a bug in the activation system. When you select a number it puts it on reserver, but in my case I wasn't decisive enough and kept selecting (clicking on) different numbers and when it came to confirm my account I got an error stating that the DID wasn't able to be reserved. I went through the activation process again and noticed all the numbers I selected before were missing, so I just waited a couple of hours and when I went through the activation process again they were released back into the pool of numbers for my area. I selected one number on my third go and everything went fine.

I understand that this may be done to keep two (or more) individuals from trying to register the same number, but I'm sure there is a more elegant method to handle that issue.
#23638 by Dennis P
Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:54 pm
georget99 wrote:If prior "old" subscribers are unaffected, I wonder if the month-to-month premier customers will still pay $12.99.

No, that will drop immediately.
#23639 by Dennis P
Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:56 pm
Rhythmic wrote:Just to let any Ooma employees know, there is a bug in the activation system. When you select a number it puts it on reserver, but in my case I wasn't decisive enough and kept selecting (clicking on) different numbers and when it came to confirm my account I got an error stating that the DID wasn't able to be reserved. I went through the activation process again and noticed all the numbers I selected before were missing, so I just waited a couple of hours and when I went through the activation process again they were released back into the pool of numbers for my area. I selected one number on my third go and everything went fine.

Thanks for the feedback, we are redeveloping the activation process and will take this into account.
#24925 by bigbobo
Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:03 am
I don't understand I bought ooma core a few weeks ago. Got an email say this about my pricing.[b]We've grandfathered existing Ooma Premier annual subscribers at the previous rate of $99.99. New annual subscriptions will be priced at $119.99[/b] I made my decision to buy Ooma based on the pricing of $99. per year. I would buy the hardware one time fee. I emailed them and they told me "The Premier upgrade is $99 through the end of the year. The annual price for Premier does go up $20 beginning in January 2010 to $119.99.
- Rich Buchanan
this to me is false advertisment. The reason why is I bought the hardware and canceling the service after one year means I would be out $320. for one years service. Ooma needs to keep at $99. What increases in there cost would necesitate an increase? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
#24926 by Groundhound
Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:52 am
bigbobo wrote: The reason why is I bought the hardware and canceling the service after one year means I would be out $320. for one years service. Ooma needs to keep at $99. What increases in there cost would necesitate an increase? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

If you cancel the Premier service after one year, your Ooma core service continues on indefinitely for free. If the $99.99/year rate vs. $119.99 for Premier is a critical difference for you, you can prepay for multiple years at the $99.99/yr. rate or $350/lifetime as long as you do it before the end of this year.
#24946 by ggilman
Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:15 am
bigbobo wrote: this to me is false advertisment. The reason why is I bought the hardware and canceling the service after one year means I would be out $320. for one years service. Ooma needs to keep at $99. What increases in there cost would necesitate an increase? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

I understand your concern and I'm sure every customer would like to have it at $99 forever. Really though, what recurring bill have you ever had that never changed? Has your cable bill never gone up? Has your electric company never changed rates? Does the Post Office still charge the same for a first class stamp today that they did ten years ago? When any of these do go up, do you claim false advertisement?

Ooma is honoring the base 'free' level of service advertised. Nothing has changed there & it is exactly as advertised. There was never any literature I saw that stated the premier service cost would never change. In fact, I'm sure in the TOS they state that they can change terms, the same as any other company. As much as I hate paying more myself, It's not fair to expect a company to never change pricing schedule.

At least Ooma is providing notice & a window of opportunity to get one last cheaper year in.

It's not just you, bigbobo; it seems the forums are full of people that expect prices to never change. I can't think of a single thing that costs the same today as it did when I was a kid. Can you? Prices change. It's just the way the world works.