Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#10376 by pl1
Wed May 27, 2009 5:37 pm
scottlindner wrote:Good point. I'll check to see if other VOIP services are the same.
Plus, remember you can always plug in a standard answering machine to screen calls.
#10377 by scottlindner
Wed May 27, 2009 5:50 pm
pl1 wrote:
scottlindner wrote:Good point. I'll check to see if other VOIP services are the same.
Plus, remember you can always plug in a standard answering machine to screen calls.

I have a regular answering machine plugged in and I cannot screen calls. Can you explain how to set this up?

Scott
#10379 by pl1
Wed May 27, 2009 5:58 pm
scottlindner wrote:
pl1 wrote:

I have a regular answering machine plugged in and I cannot screen calls. Can you explain how to set this up?

Scott
If you set the number of rings in the lounge to a higher number than your answering machine, the answering machine will pickup first. Otherwise, the setup is identical to a regular phone service.

Preferences> Voice Mail> change from the default of 4 rings to 59 seconds. That should let your answering machine pick up (if that's the problem).

Or, does your answering machine not have that option? To listen in as the call comes in?
#10381 by scottlindner
Wed May 27, 2009 6:04 pm
pl1 wrote:If you set the number of rings in the lounge to a higher number than your answering machine, the answering machine will pickup first. Otherwise, the setup is identical to a regular phone service.

Preferences> Voice Mail> change from the default of 4 rings to 59 seconds. That should let your answering machine pick up (if that's the problem).

Or, does your answering machine not have that option? To listen in as the call comes in?

That isn't a solution. See my other post about that. Definitely not a solution at all. Don't recommend that to anyone. It's bad.

http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1687&hilit=answering+machine

Scott
#10385 by scottlindner
Wed May 27, 2009 6:22 pm
Wouldn't a Scout be the same as a Hub in that regard?

This is all moot for me. I firmly believe if that if Ooma passes my tests that I will sign up for Premier. The wife did get a bit upset when I told her call screening is a paid for feature. She'll get over it once she gets over paying for Premier. :)

Cheers,
Scott
#10387 by WayneDsr
Wed May 27, 2009 6:58 pm
I don't understand. FREE Local Calling, Free Long Distance, Free Call waiting, FREE Caller ID and Free basic voicemail.

Where is that not at good deal?
I guess I've paid the phone company longer than most here, because all that free stuff alone is enough for me to consider ooma to be the best deal any way you look at it.
The cost of Premier to get all those little extras is STILL almost what I used to pay a month for oomas core features from AT&T.

Wayne
#10388 by murphy
Wed May 27, 2009 7:01 pm
I don't get this reluctance to pay $99.99 per year for premium. That breaks down to $8.33 per month. You can't even get basic service with no long distance and no regional calling from Verizon for that price. You can't get one good meal for that price.
#10391 by scots
Wed May 27, 2009 7:09 pm
For everyone who's saying it should be free because it's a "basic" feature:

If it's so basic, then why does no other VoIP provider offer this? Why don't traditional phone companies offer this with their voicemail? Actually, you can't even get voicemail at all from a traditional phone company without paying a monthly fee. I see nothing wrong with offering it as part of the Premier package.
#10408 by niknak
Thu May 28, 2009 7:46 am
...I don't understand. FREE Local Calling, Free Long Distance, Free Call waiting, FREE Caller ID and Free basic voicemail.

Where is that not at good deal
?...

I agree!!!