Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#1198 by scoutconnor
Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:15 pm
I know that this is available in the premier package but not being able to screen my calls is the one reason I'm not going to switch from my current answering machine to the Broadband Answering Machine. I know that this can be a money maker for OOMA but I'm not willing to spend the $99 a year just to screen my calls like I can now. I think that making that feature fre would persuade more people to use the Broadband Answering Machine as well as switch over to OOMA in the first place.
Last edited by scoutconnor on Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1381 by kramerica
Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:31 pm
I agree with you on this one. Seems to me, if a normal answering machine can do it, it should be a basic function, rather than premiere.
#1538 by mk11
Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:04 pm
I totally agree. While the ability to screen calls and pick up during a message would not entice me to get the Premiere service if I had no use for a second line, I know it would be a significant enticement for some of my friends to switch from their VOIPs to Ooma.
#1620 by skellener
Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:40 am
I'm hear you guys, but I think that Ooma needs to have some services that they make money on. By offering compelling features in the Premier service, they get a continuos revenue stream which in turn will keep them in business. If you really need the service I don't think $99 year ($8.25 a month) is a deal breaker considering basic is essentially free (of course there's the hardware cost upfront). When I had a landline with AT&T they wanted $6.99 just for Caller ID! Caller ID is already included with the basic service with Ooma so you at least know who is calling. I don't know if I would want to see them break the services into ala carte or not. That's what the phone companies do and they charge a fortune for each item. The Premier package is pretty reasonable considering all of the features you get.

Personally I find that when I like services from a company and I like the company, I have no problem paying for them. It's the best way to support what they are doing and keep them around. Originally I thought I would stick to the basic features, but Premier is getting very attractive. I may opt for it once I see how the custom Caller ID set up works.
#1867 by brwilliams
Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:43 pm
I would have to respectfully disagree with skellener on this one. I do agree that adding premier features fits a good business model, but hearing a message during a call is so basic today, it should be a basic feature. I subscribe to the premier service because I want the second line. Otherwise I would have simply continued to use my old answering machine, which my 87 year old mother does since she does not need all of the other features. By not making this a basic feature I believe this just provides one less selling point to get ooma or to talk them up in the first place.

Otherwise I agree with skellener, but not on the call screening.
#10368 by scottlindner
Wed May 27, 2009 4:54 pm
I just recently realized that screening calls is a Premier service. This may be strong language, but I find that offensive. It is a fundamentally basic feature. My wife is going to get very upset when I tell her we need to pay $99/yr to hear voicemails as they are being recorded. This should be changed.

Cheers,
Scott
Last edited by scottlindner on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
#10370 by ydnar723
Wed May 27, 2009 5:04 pm
I agree, I was surprised to find out this was one of those features that was part of the premier package. Again paying $99 for just that one feature? I also think where there is discussion about Ooma making money (which I agree they need ot make money) Ooma should take some features that are not so common, enhanced and make them premier and also where some of us don't need every premier feature, make them a pay per feature thing. Maybe they should model something say x number of features free, regardless of what they are, anything over is a pay per feature fee or all for $99. (assuming Ooma has not looked into this) Sort of like right now, Premier has everything, non premier has limited features, but if someone likes 1 thing in premier but no use for the rest, pay a certain amount per feature. It would be something the company would make rather then nothing.
#10371 by scottlindner
Wed May 27, 2009 5:10 pm
The topic is probably moot for myself. Although the wife doesn't want to pay $99/yr, I see it as saving $350/yr (save $450/yr + $99/yr for Premier). She doesn't see it that way, but I pay all of the bills so maybe she won't notice? I mostly care about the Blacklist feature. That in itself is worth it to me. I think the second line will also become very useful for us, but I think the wife hasn't realized that yet.

Ala cart would be a good approach. $50/feature $99 for all of them? They'd have to pick a price structure that doesn't loose them revenue from current Premier users but enables new people to pay for services that wouldn't pay $99 for Premier. I agree they need to eat to, but there is an expectation that certain things come with the package, listening to your messages as they are being recorded is one of them. That's been around since the first tape based answering machine.

Cheers,
Scott
#10374 by pl1
Wed May 27, 2009 5:27 pm
scottlindner wrote:I agree they need to eat to, but there is an expectation that certain things come with the package, listening to your messages as they are being recorded is one of them. That's been around since the first tape based answering machine.
I thought about this myself, but, you can't listen to the telco VM either. What it DOES give you for free is caller ID and an email/text if a message is received which can be real useful. To be honest with you, I've never seen any other VOIP service with an ATA that offered call screening.

And, thinking about it even further, the only time I really need to screen calls is when I don't know who the caller is. But, I send all of those callers to another answering machine with an Interceptor person-to-person caller ID machine so I don't even know a call has come in.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that I'm getting a lot more features for free, than I get with the my phone company at $30/mo for minimum service plus CID. (Oh, and I don't consider the hardware purchase as being free. An ATA is no more than $50 and I've never had to pay for porting my number, so, there is at least a year of service paid for up front the way I see it.)