Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#19364 by dtalwar
Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:27 pm
voipdude wrote:I bought ooma from costco.com with $50 international call credit and I check online the international rate for China which is $0.025 (which should be 2.5c) per minute which is too high comparing to most of the voip providers.. So when I made my first call to China, I would expect 2000 minutes but the system indicates only 1923 minutes. After I made the calls, I checked the log and the log has different rates:
China landline -- 2.8c/min
China mobile -- 2.6c/min
and none of them are 2.5c/min.

If you look carefully, on the rate page, rate to China call rates:
Country Code Area/City Code Country/City Rate Per Minute
86 China $ 0.025
86 13 China - Mobile $ 0.025
86 140 China - Mobile $ 0.025
86 153 China - Mobile $ 0.023
86 159 China - Mobile $ 0.023

I am not Ooma staff, but I can try and explain how $0.023 and $0.025 become $0.026 and $0.028 respectively. It is because of the mandated FUSF fee (currently 12.9%) which gets added on to every call. Ooma has the following disclaimer on the rates page which alludes to the FUSF.

* Rates subject to change without notice. Calls are charged at a per minute rate and rounded up to the minute. Listed international calling rates do not include a mandated Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) fee.
#19375 by mcbleu
Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:02 pm
What about no expiration date ?
For California they shouldn't have any expiration date

unless-->
"The company shall print legibly on the card or packaging, and the vendor shall make available in a prominent area at the point of sale of the prepaid calling card or prepaid calling services, the following information: The expiration policy, if any. " ....

Forward any complain to :

Prepaid Phone Card Enforcement
Consumer Services Division
505 Van Ness Ave
San Francisco, Ca. 94102

Do you smell class action and some shark teeth getting sharpened
#19378 by thbjr
Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:55 pm
For pity sakes, it is Not a phone card. It is pre-paid service, but then if you read your broadband ISP billing carefully, guess what, that's pre-paid too, a month in advance. So since you're using it for pre-paid VoIP to make pre-paid phone calls, prehaps they can't turn off your broadband as long as you have Ooma. If they did, wouldn't that be 'expiring' your prepaid Ooma 'phone card' service? Hmmm, so then you could sue your ISP provider, too.
I think Not....

...and no I'm not an attorney, ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... ;>)