Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#16800 by niknak
Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:34 pm
mcbleu wrote:Good day,

What is the best professional / business grade phone to use with ooma ?

Thank you for your feedback and suggestion

ooma is a residential phone service, although people do use it for business, it is usually for a small business / home office application.

it is a violation of the terms of service to use ooma for a business system
#16803 by mcbleu
Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:54 pm
I was not asking what are the terms of service

Please if you are not reading my question don't try to answer it
I 'm looking for feedback and suggestion on a professional / business grade phone

P.S.
and yes I'm using it for small business
#16827 by southsound
Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:48 am
I use a Uniden 1580 series DECT 6.0 cordless system on our ooma. It makes an excellent single line phone as each hanset has a built in speaker phone and the phone directory can be shared between handsets. It also has an intercom function that works between handsets. We have 5 handsets on our base. There are only two downsides - it is a single line system so if you were using two lines with your hub it might not be as convenient as a two line phone. The other is that it does not offer a headset jack. I still have to use my Plantronics if I wish to use a headset. Although the system is sold as a consumer item, it is definitely business grade. I used to work for Pacific Telesis as Marketing Manager for their major PBX systems so I am pretty well aware of business grade equipment.

I understand that the DECT 6.0 Panasonics are also quite well made and there is a two line version. Maybe others can chime in on the Pany's. And yes, we use ours for our two home based businesses. Hope this helps.
#16848 by mcbleu
Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:11 am
I was inquiring cause i realized that most professional / business grade phone have a better sound quality specially speaker phone feature than "consumer" phone product
We have a Meridian Nortel phone in the office (regular phone line not PBX) and sound if unbelievable quality sound almost as good as Bang Olufsen phone

Unfortunately the Meridian Nortel phone that work with regular line (and ooma) are very expensive and only wired one are available.

Used one are very hard to find
#16886 by murphy
Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:46 am
Search eBay or Google for 9417CW.
I have three of them.
They are branded Aastra, Nortel, and Sprint but they are the same 2 line desk phone.

All three are connected to my two ooma lines.
#16894 by hogdoc
Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:21 pm
I have been using a Panasonic PBX system for my home based office for over seven years now. Bullet proof system that has survived the lighting capital in Florida and installed my old KX-TA624 in my friends business and running an upgraded KX-TA824 for one year now. This system currently has one analog line, one vonage line, 2 Ooma lines, and a cell phone via bluetooth connection. A maxed out system can handle 8 CO lines and 24 extension phones. You can add cheap cordless phones to the system also. It has a built in auto attendent and auto fax detection. Got the PBX brain with three system phones for $500 on the net. Hope that helps.
#16898 by mcbleu
Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:34 pm
Thank you MURPHY

that is exactly the model we have and it very good quality
I'm going to get some from ebay

hogdoc , I never thought about integrating ooma in a pbx setup
that's something worth looking into
#16901 by hogdoc
Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:57 pm
Mcbleu,

a PBX gives you a lot more features and flexability. For example, you can program what lines will ring on what extentions at certain times, Different ring pattern for each line, central CID so all phones share the same info and can returns calls from CID, Voicemail notification on each line, can integrate a voice mail box if you want, but pricey. You can intergrate a FAX line so that you can also use it for voice when the fax is not used. A neat trick for free/low international calls from your cell is to call the PBX and get the other line which you make an outgoing call on your international line(you conference yourself with 2 lines from the pbx). The basic unit comes with 3 lines all with CID and 8 extention ports. You can also add doorphones and door openers so you can answer or open a door from your phone!