Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#17494 by scottlindner
Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:12 pm
hpepper wrote:No - not normally true. In almost all cases - There will be no dialtone on a disconnected landline. If there is no dialtone, there is no way to call 911.

In almost all cases, 911 service IS available from any CELLPHONE that is disconnected.

Although I cannot find it at the moment, there are many laws that mandate a soft dial tone on every physical phone line regardless of occupancy. This isn't true everywhere, but the numbers are very high, even in areas where it is not mandated by law. I have two lines of dial tone at my home, and no phone service. I haven't tested if 911 works, and for the moment the laws in Colorado do not require it, but they are actively trying to change that.

Cheers,
Scott
#17542 by doug
Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:22 pm
scottlindner wrote:Although I cannot find it at the moment, there are many laws that mandate a soft dial tone on every physical phone line regardless of occupancy.

That is interesting; it is the first I have heard of that for landlines, though I was aware that non-provisioned cell phones should still have 911 access.

In the case of a POTS line which has been disconnected (for example, because of a number port to Ooma), I too thought the network interface / demarc would not have any dialtone. I have never heard of a "soft dial tone" in the past.

Would such a "soft dial tone" actually identify to 911 your location? Or just route you to the 911 call center but they would have no clue where you are calling from? I understand the CLEC should be able to tell what circuit the call is coming from, but does that mean there is ANI or whatever is used by a 911 call center?
#17545 by murphy
Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:06 am
Both Verizon land lines that I canceled in the past still had voltage but no dial tone. They were not of use for anything.
#17547 by hpepper
Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:16 am
Here is a slightly helpful and interesting link/blog on Consumer Reports website. Funny... Ohio is listed as a state that has a soft-tone requirement but when I terminated my landline in Ohio (when I went with the Ooma/cellphone combo for my home) my line went dead and I have no dialtone.... still have DC voltage on the line.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electr ... lines.html
#17556 by doug
Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:14 am
hpepper wrote:Funny... Ohio is listed as a state that has a soft-tone requirement but when I terminated my landline in Ohio (when I went with the Ooma/cellphone combo for my home) my line went dead and I have no dialtone.... still have DC voltage on the line.

Actually, the article states that Ohio only requires the soft tone to remain available for 14 days after a disconnect. That may help in terms of people moving or something, but certainly not as a contingency plan for 911 service if you have lost both VoIP and cell service.
#17562 by hpepper
Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:03 am
Yes, I saw the 14 day limit too - but my landline was disconnected with no dialtone the same day I called to cancel service and has been that way ever since.

I was thinking of calling AT&T and asking them about the soft-tone and what they know about the law.