Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#16010 by MikeekiM
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:29 am
I currently have two landlines on my account, and because of Ooma, I am going to keep my primary line and reduce the service down to the bare minimum for backup purposes (as well as feed my home alarm system), and cancel my second line completely...

As a surprise to me, the phone company customer retention department ended up offering me that same second line for $3 a month! What? I am surprised, but also a little p*ssed off... Like everything else, it takes the threat of cancellation to get the best rates... Instead of a structure that rewards loyal customers, it gives the best deals to defecting customers...

<sigh>... Oh well...I declined it anyway... $3/mo is still $36/year that I don't need to be spending now...
#16012 by scottlindner
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:41 am
If I could have my landline for $3/mo I would have stayed with it, but instead I paid $42/mo for basic local telephone service with no features. I paid that for 2.5 years before getting wise. I can't believe how much money I wasted for nothing. We barely used the landline and used our cell phones for all long distance calls. Now with Ooma and free long distance we are barely using our cell phones and saving tons of money. Next to go due to Ooma... the monthly cell phone plan.

Scott
#16015 by southsound
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:49 am
MikeekiM,

If your telco is like most others, that $3 a month will end up to be more like $10 a month after fees and surcharges. But I agree - it sounds like the telcos are feeling the same pressure that is driving outlandish offers from the retention people at cable/Dish/DirecTV.

My experience today was somewhat similar: Last week I downgraded my Qwest service from Home Choice Plus ($34.99 / month) to Home Choice ($29.99 / month). For the next 12 months I have to keep the package at a certain level or my DSL rate goes way up. I called in today because they removed most of the "Plus" features but kept call rejection and that made my new fee $35.49 after the downgrade - $0.50 more than I was paying for the better package. The person I called was wonderful - gave me credit for the mistake, $5 for my trouble, and offered me 12 months of unlimited long distance for one cent per month! If they had offered this when I got DSL 7 months ago, I might not have ever explored ooma. Of course, I took the offer but I would not trade my ooma system for anything! :cool:
#16016 by MikeekiM
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:51 am
Oh...the offer was not to keep my landline for 3 bucks...it was to keep that second line for 3 bucks... Southsound, you are right... It is amazing how $3 somehow magically turns into $10...

I still have to pay full pop for my primary landline...

I am going to reduce that primary landline to next to nothing though... A measured local line here costs about $7.50, and then you have to just about double that after surcharges and tax... So it'll be $14-$15 for me...

And I really do feel that I need to keep it... I like to have a backup for power and internet outages... especially since that is when you probably really want to talk to someone (and also with the alarm, it's when your home is the most vulnerable)...

$14-$15/mo versus the $75/mo I have been paying is a good savings though... :)
#16017 by southsound
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:54 am
scottlindner wrote: Now with Ooma and free long distance we are barely using our cell phones and saving tons of money. Next to go due to Ooma... the monthly cell phone plan.

Scott

If you don't use a lot of cell airtime I can tell you how I get my cell service for $5.50 per month with 150 minutes included and rollover of unused minutes. Not really a topic for the ooma forum, but email me if you would like details.

For those who are wondering, NO, I do not sell cell service. I just found a way to get a really good deal!
#16018 by MikeekiM
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:57 am
Honestly, I am feeling pretty good about this Ooma solution... but I do have one fear...it's the fear that my experience will change...

I have seen all too often (on this board too...and I have only been on this board for a few days)...people reporting that "it used to work for me 6 months ago, but now its doing this and that..."

I think I ran into a message similar to this in the call quality forum...where someone was saying that their ooma was working great, but at some point turned static-y, etc...

Man, I would hate to have abandoned my landline, only to have this great service end up being not-so-great... I am crossing my fingers...
#16019 by MikeekiM
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:58 am
southsound wrote:
scottlindner wrote: Now with Ooma and free long distance we are barely using our cell phones and saving tons of money. Next to go due to Ooma... the monthly cell phone plan.

Scott

If you don't use a lot of cell airtime I can tell you how I get my cell service for $5.50 per month with 150 minutes included and rollover of unused minutes. Not really a topic for the ooma forum, but email me if you would like details.

For those who are wondering, NO, I do not sell cell service. I just found a way to get a really good deal!

You really must share with me... I have a 250 minute plan with a bunch of other included minutes (in-network/MTM, nights/weekends, etc)... But because I work from home, I use all of 20 minutes a month...on a busy month!!!
#16066 by ggilman
Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:54 pm
southsound wrote:If you don't use a lot of cell airtime I can tell you how I get my cell service for $5.50 per month with 150 minutes included and rollover of unused minutes. Not really a topic for the ooma forum, but email me if you would like details.

I'm on the exact same plan. Had to get off my wife's cell phone plan. She was using almost 7000 minutes a month BY HERSELF. In her defense, her business is selling real estate so she does have some excuse, but in reality she's just a very, very chatty person (fortunately she doesn't read this forum).

Anyway, it was far cheaper for her to go to one of the all-you-can-eat plans to save money but you can't share minutes on those so my daughter and I were left out. Neither of us use many minutes at all, so I did some research and it seems like I came up with the exact same thing you did.
#16079 by StevenJohn
Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:42 am
ggilman wrote:...Had to get off my wife's cell phone plan. She was using almost 7000 minutes a month BY HERSELF. ...

Wow, I don't think I even speak 7000 minutes a month. :-)

sj
#16080 by scottlindner
Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:16 am
ggilman wrote:Had to get off my wife's cell phone plan. She was using almost 7000 minutes a month BY HERSELF. In her defense, her business is selling real estate so she does have some excuse, but in reality she's just a very, very chatty person

That's 120 hours per month just on the phone. When does she get and meet people and show properties? :)

ggilman wrote:(fortunately she doesn't read this forum).

Unfortunately, Google indexes this forum. Hopefully she never Google's to see what you are doing. :)

Scott