Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#15946 by southsound
Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:37 am
<sorry if this seems a tad long>
Some of us have felt more secure knowing that we had a backup, either cell or landline, in case our ooma system or the Internet that drives it failed to give us dialtone.

Two days ago I had my first DSL outage. The connection to Qwest showed it was OK but the ISP (MSN) was not connected. I reported the problem that they traced to a server being off line. I lost Internet and ooma for about an hour. Not too bad since I also have a landline.

Today the landline started acting up. Dialtone, then just talk battery, then dialtone. I installed our internal wiring and punchdowns so I knew it was all OK. Checked for a malfunctioning phone. Then I went out to the demac block and plugged in a corded phone to the telco side. The problem was with the telco so I called repair only to find out that it was a problem with the lines. Repair said it wouldn't be TOO LONG before it was fixed. They had an estimated completion date of 8/19. Today is 8/14!! To me, 5 days is a very long time to be without phone service.

The good news is that I started using Google Voice a couple of weeks ago and downgraded our landline to a cheaper package that still has voicemail. The message asks callers to use our new GV number. I also printed new business cards and told most of our callers about the new number. GV is set to ring the landline and our cell that is not reliable on our property but works well other places. With the problem with our landline, I just went into GV settings and added my ooma number to the phones list. I'll still get calls to the house and callers will be none the wiser.

What a great combination - ooma and Google Voice! I can't wait for the Premier Extensions for Google Voice to make things even better! :cool:
#15986 by Boondocs
Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:22 pm
southsound wrote:<sorry if this seems a tad long>
Some of us have felt more secure knowing that we had a backup, either cell or landline, in case our ooma system or the Internet that drives it failed to give us dialtone.

Two days ago I had my first DSL outage. The connection to Qwest showed it was OK but the ISP (MSN) was not connected. I reported the problem that they traced to a server being off line. I lost Internet and ooma for about an hour. Not too bad since I also have a landline.

Today the landline started acting up. Dialtone, then just talk battery, then dialtone. I installed our internal wiring and punchdowns so I knew it was all OK. Checked for a malfunctioning phone. Then I went out to the demac block and plugged in a corded phone to the telco side. The problem was with the telco so I called repair only to find out that it was a problem with the lines. Repair said it wouldn't be TOO LONG before it was fixed. They had an estimated completion date of 8/19. Today is 8/14!! To me, 5 days is a very long time to be without phone service.

The good news is that I started using Google Voice a couple of weeks ago and downgraded our landline to a cheaper package that still has voicemail. The message asks callers to use our new GV number. I also printed new business cards and told most of our callers about the new number. GV is set to ring the landline and our cell that is not reliable on our property but works well other places. With the problem with our landline, I just went into GV settings and added my ooma number to the phones list. I'll still get calls to the house and callers will be none the wiser.

What a great combination - ooma and Google Voice! I can't wait for the Premier Extensions for Google Voice to make things even better! :cool:

Nice!

I did the same with GV and it has worked well for me so far. We are moving to a new area code and I just forward my GV number to my ooma number and bingo everything is great.