Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#14002 by Groundhound
Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:17 am
crwmlw wrote:Thank you. I know Im not interested in a second line. If I have the phone port of the hub connected to the wall jack to feed the rest of the home can I still use the scout on the main line to have the answering machine say in our bedroom?

No, the scout needs a different house wire pair to communicate with the hub via the hub & scouts wall ports. The wall ports must not be connected to the same line wiring as the phone ports on the hub and scout.
#14003 by crwmlw
Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:30 am
wow. Now im confused. Can I keep the setup I explained and forget about the scout?

The way Im trying to get mine setup is to have the caller Id's to work on directv, the fax machine, 1 cordless phone base with additional handsets and 2 wired phones on wall plates. The main cordless phone base is right next to the ooma hub. So I have the landline disconnected and the ooma hub phone port is using a splitter, 1 line to wall port feeding the rest of the home and the other line goes to the cordless base. I hope this is ok?
#14004 by Groundhound
Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:43 am
It can be a bit confusing. When I said "wall port", I meant the wall connections on the back of the hub and scout, not the wall jack in your home. I think you are fine with nothing connected to the hub's "wall port" and your home wiring connected to the split phone port on your hub. You will, however, not be able to use the scout in another room unless you connect its "wall port" to the hub's "wall port" via the second line wiring in your home, using Ln1/Ln2 line splitters connected to your wall jacks or duplex jacks.

crwmlw wrote:wow. Now im confused. Can I keep the setup I explained and forget about the scout?

The way Im trying to get mine setup is to have the caller Id's to work on directv, the fax machine, 1 cordless phone base with additional handsets and 2 wired phones on wall plates. The main cordless phone base is right next to the ooma hub. So I have the landline disconnected and the ooma hub phone port is using a splitter, 1 line to wall port feeding the rest of the home and the other line goes to the cordless base. I hope this is ok?
#14005 by crwmlw
Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:01 am
Ok much better. thanks so much. I really wont have a reason to use the scout at this point or a second phone line. Just a quick question. I had vonage years ago and it sucked. Is ooma better and can you fax? I know vonage you were not able too.
#14007 by Groundhound
Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:10 am
crwmlw wrote:Ok much better. thanks so much. I really wont have a reason to use the scout at this point or a second phone line. Just a quick question. I had vonage years ago and it sucked. Is ooma better and can you fax? I know vonage you were not able too.

Regarding faxing, the short answer is a qualified yes, with some tweaking. Search using the term "faxing" in the forum search and you will find a lot of information.
#14009 by crwmlw
Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:19 am
Thank you all very much for all your help. I really do appreciate it.