Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#14254 by t4feb
Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:33 am
ggilman wrote:
t4feb wrote:Would something like this be for iphones only or how about blackberry people. Thanks

This could be made just as well for a blackberry but the code would have to be a separate development. From my understanding, blackberry programming is in Java whereas iPhone is in Objective-C & both with obviously separate SDKs. I doubt there would be much code reuse between the two developments. I haven't programmed on the blackberry at all, just the iPhone.

Thank You for the reply
#14345 by ggilman
Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:28 am
Not quite as much response to this as I had hoped, but some other code I was looking at yesterday sparked my interest and I did actually begin on the iPhone app last night. Currently I have the ability to login via the app and was working on capturing the data for the inbox and folders when they shut down the lounge for scheduled maintenance. I have actually captured the data already. It's just not parsed into a meaningful format. Once that's done, I'll have to download the associated mp3 to play locally. At that point, I'll have what I'd consider to be the bare minimum capability for a useful app.

What I plan on doing after this minimum level is read the call logs. Personally I don't care to see the call logs, but I would really like to take the caller ID and replace the phone #s at the inbox for those that exist & of course since I've done the work to capture them at this point, I'd display the call logs. Also, I plan on having the ability to change call forwarding. I haven't determined if there's much else of importance so other features are TBD at this point.

So, the question I pose now is would you rather be able to download the minimum capability soon or wait for the extended capabilities?

There would be no additional fees or anything after the initial download. They would just come incrementally as updates when the extended capabilities are complete. For the minimum capability, I'd judge about another week of development, plus however long Apple takes for approval before the app would be available for download. My other apps have taken around 10 days for approval.

I'm leaning towards the incremental capability at the moment. As a user, I'd rather have some capability now knowing more is coming. However, as a developer I don't want anyone to get a bad impression because they think it should do a lot more. I do however feel this minimum capability provides value & there's certainly no app out there that does more currently. But since people on these forums will be some of the primary users, I'll let you decide.

Also, if any ooma rep reads this and doesn't like the idea of a user developed app or if ooma is releasing an official one, I'd be much happier to know now than after committing more time. Either a 'thumbs-up' or 'thumbs-down' would be much appreciated. I'm not doing anything in code that my web browser doesn't do when accessing your site though so I hope there's no issue.
#14363 by ggilman
Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:52 am
Thanks for the info.

Wasn't aware of the major website redesign. With the method I'm using by obtaining data from their web site programatically, any web site change could potentially cause issues. With this one sounding like a major overhaul, the potential is even greater and likely even guaranteed. However, I am anticipating changes and as such structuring the code to minimize the impact. I would expect most site changes to be repairable within a day & the app resubmitted to the store. More major changes like the one you linked to would take longer but still within a couple of days. So, yes, changes to the site impact the app but I'm not particularly concerned. I think I even mentioned this type of risk in my initial post.

It would be more stable if ooma would provide an API but I don't see that happening so this is the only route to the data from the outside.

For the second, I was aware of this one and it would be a big concern if not for the date. It's "Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:54 pm". That's over a year ago and unless I've missed another post, they haven't talked about it again. Likely, they have either dropped it or it has such low priority it won't be done any time soon. If they do release one but it's a year out, that won't bother me. If they put one out next month, it would but without any feedback from them on timing, I'm going to take the risk.
#14385 by ggilman
Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:02 pm
Actually, rereading the posts you linked to, "ooma Lounge application" may be a bit different than what I was thinking. I was thinking "iphone app" when I read it initially but this could be incorrect. It could be a web-based app. These are really just web pages specifically designed with mobile devices in mind. If so, and putting the two posts together, their major lounge overhaul in September could include this. A web-app based approach would make sense for ooma since they obviously have web developers but assumabley not Blackberry & iPhone develoeprs. The good news for t4feb is that it would likely cover the blackberry as well.

It would be very nice to know if the September update includes mobile capabilities.
#14419 by upstartguy
Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:12 pm
I have actually seen a website somewhere several weeks ago where they advertised they are finishing an app. You could probably Google it. The Ooma support person I spoke to knew nothing about it.
#14422 by ggilman
Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:08 pm
Haven't found anything about them finishing up an app, but at this point, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the September lounge update doesn't include a web app interface for mobile devices & this is what you were reading about.

Continuing the my app development at this point does not seem like a particularly good idea.
#14423 by ggilman
Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:15 pm
Actually I'll make another prediction as well. I predict that that the google voice tie in with ooma that everyone is waiting for will be part of the new lounge overhaul as well. They stated it would be released in the summer yet not much news about it lately. September is only a month away & summer is almost over.

Remember, you heard it here first, folks. Both mobile web app for mobile devices AND google voice tie-ins at the end of September with the lounge overhaul.