Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#13725 by bamaooma
Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:20 am
I wish someone would make an iPhone app to access your vm and acct. You can go to the website thru Safari, but an app would be so helpful - and be good advertising for ooma.

Is one in the works?
#13756 by ggilman
Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:34 am
I've developed a couple of iPhone apps I've posted on the iTunes store already and have considered writing something to work with the ooma lounge. It wouldn't be able to do anything you can't do on the web site obviously since the app would just be providing a native display vs. the web display & there is no SDK or other method by which I can communicate with ooma's servers.

I'd get use out of the app myself but there are a couple of risks involved in someone besides ooma developing such an app. First, ooma could change their web page designs at any time and break the app. Should be repairable, but still a risk. Secondly, I'm not sure how happy ooma would be with a 3rd party development of such a tool. I doubt they'd care, but if they did, they could easily kill the app and any time I've spent is wasted.

I've got a couple of other iPhone apps in the queue for development but if this is something the community wants and it's not being developed elsewhere, I could be persuaded to change priorities. It would help if someone from ooma would chime in to give a 'thumbs-up' that they wouldn't kill the app too :)

If this is something you think you'd use, post below and provide information about what you think would be most important to you. It would seem to me the first priority would be to check your messages, then possibly call forwarding access. Let me know what you think though.

The more support there is for this, the more likely either I or someone else is to pick up the task.
#13757 by ggilman
Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:44 am
For clarification, if I developed the app, I'd have to charge some fee. I feel as part of the 'ooma community' and I wouldn't be attempting to get rich on this by any means, but there are costs involved with developing software that I'm attempting to recover. As such, the fee would be minimal. Something like $0.99 or $1.99. I wouldn't expect enough sales to provide any real compensation for my time, but it would help cover some of my costs & keep my wife at bay when I'm programming.
#13759 by circlef
Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:53 am
ggilman, I too would love to see an iphone app and would not think twice about paying for it. Messages and Call Forwarding would be my choices to begin with.

Alan
#13774 by ram104
Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:18 pm
I would love to see a iPhone app for ooma. I would pay the .99 cents for the app.
#14098 by Quicksprj
Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:39 pm
I would also like to see an app and would pay a couple of dollars for it. It would be nice to show call logs also.
#14159 by dhkkim
Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:22 pm
ram102 wrote:I would love to see a iPhone app for ooma. I would pay the .99 cents for the app.

Me too.
#14205 by t4feb
Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:41 am
Would something like this be for iphones only or how about blackberry people. Thanks
#14243 by ggilman
Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:06 am
t4feb wrote:Would something like this be for iphones only or how about blackberry people. Thanks

This could be made just as well for a blackberry but the code would have to be a separate development. From my understanding, blackberry programming is in Java whereas iPhone is in Objective-C & both with obviously separate SDKs. I doubt there would be much code reuse between the two developments. I haven't programmed on the blackberry at all, just the iPhone.