enable USB port to support bluetooth headsets

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
radoave

enable USB port to support bluetooth headsets

Post by radoave » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:32 pm

it would be nice to use my bluetooth wireless headset with my ooma hub

kinda like this:
http://www.headsetzone.com/voyager-510- ... tooth.html

Groundhound

Re: enable USB port to support bluetooth headsets

Post by Groundhound » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:09 pm

A softphone is in the works ( http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... =softphone ), perhaps your headset would work with that.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:15 am

There is a good possibility that might work if the OP leaves a computer on with the softphone always running. Depending on how the softphone is implemented, you may need to use a tool like Girder to answer the softphone when the BT headset button is pressed.

Good suggestion to bridge the need. I like the OP's suggestion as well. It mimics a common request for DECT 6.0 phones I have seen as well. The handsets all come with ports for wired headsets. I have seen many requests for BT support in DECT 6.0 handsets but to date no one has built it.

EDIT: When the SDK comes out an inspired Ooma patron might implement a nice little app to do exactly what the OP is looking for.

Scott

mmcbride

Post by mmcbride » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:09 am

Great idea. A softphone is fine, but doesn't fulfill the role needed for those who don't keep a PC running all the time. I have a Plantronics setup for business work, but it isn't ideal for all (and it costs more than a simple(r) solution).

gjwhitehorn

Post by gjwhitehorn » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:05 am

If/when they release a softphone, they should also allow any bluetooth USB adapter to work in the Telo, since with a softphone I would naturally be able to get around the requirement to use the official Ooma bluetooth adapter and use my awesome $2 mini-plug to take calls. I tried plugging it into my Telo last night, and I was able to add my headset to its device list, but it wouldn't connect (I'm assuming because the Telo recognized it wasn't the official Ooma bluetooth adapter). $30 for the official one is a rip-off, as is the requirement to have Ooma Premier just to use what I've already bought (the Telo, with its USB port, and my own bluetooth adapter) -- although I suppose they do have to recoup their costs somehow, and that's one way to do it.