Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#12881 by but2002
Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:42 am
scottlindner wrote:No problem at all.

If iPhone is Linux or BSD based (I believe it is) and if you have access to a shell, it should be in /etc/hosts

Scott

The iPhone is OSx based, which is very close to BSD I believe.

They don't let yuo have access to the root directory on an iPhone unless it is jailbroken..
#12883 by scottlindner
Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:52 am
A quick search confirms that. Thanks for the tip.

Thinking out of the box. I wonder if he could set up a DNS server on his web server, enter in the host name and LAN IP, and then add that to the DNS server list received via DHCP on the WAN port of the Ooma Hub. Two potential problems that I don't know the answer to just yet. Will the Ooma Hub allow you to add another DNS server? What DNS entry will take precidence: the one from the ISP or the local one?

Would that work?

Scott
#12884 by scottlindner
Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:53 am
00ma wrote:I have mine jailbroken and SSH terminal access. Not sure about su (sudo, root) access though.

OK. By that comment you obviously know what you are doing. If you can figure out how to get root access, you'll find what you need in /etc/hosts.

Scott
#12885 by 00ma
Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:03 am
well, on the most part. I usually forget about using host files as I consider them an "old" way to do things. Sometimes, they end up being the easiest way to get something done.
#12890 by scottlindner
Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:58 am
In general hosts files are not used like they used to be, but they still are used. Mostly for situations like this, and when you have a lot of local devices on a small LAN where a DNS server is more work than it's worth. I use the hosts files because I have a lot different devices on my network that need IP addresses, and it's much easier to access them by a host name than by IP.

Let us know if you get it working on your iPhone.

Scott