Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#12407 by dmlanger
Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:53 pm
I'd like to have the hub play through the speaker the caller's name / phone number when someone calls. It would be nice to know who's calling without having to get up and go over to the phone. I know with Google Voice it will tell you who is calling before you answer.
#12417 by southsound
Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:09 am
Some of the newer DECT 6.0 cordless phones already have this feature. It's called Talking Caller ID or something of the sort. I believer Panasonic is one of the manufacturers that have this feature on some phones.
#12421 by dmlanger
Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:59 am
Yeah thats true, but i dont want to go buy a new phone. The ooma hub should be able to do that. It allows call screening when a voicemail is being recorded so it should be able to play the caller's name / number when it starts ringing.
#12773 by Groundhound
Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:07 pm
As I understand it, inbound caller ID actually comes from the database for the CLEC that originates the call, whereas a voice mail announcement from the current version of the hub comes from ooma's servers. So if my assumption is correct, there would have to be a lot of extra back and forth traffic and load on ooma's network on every call to make this work
#13763 by southsound
Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:49 pm
According to the ooma blog Google Voice Extensions will allow ooma to do just what the OP wanted. I am guessing that the extensions may be a Premier feature, but if so it will still be wonderful. In fact, for me it will be the tipping factor in favor of getting Premier. You can read the blog here: http://blog.ooma.com/2009/03/18/ooma-and-google-voice/