Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#11613 by KrK
Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:39 pm
I have an idea:

Many Alarm systems have the "Phone Home" number hard-coded into them. It's not something the user can program or change, it's set by the vendor or the installer.

I have an Alarm that is currently NOT working with Ooma, and I'm trying to work out the details with the Alarm company of seeing when we could try modifying the dialout parameters, etc.

That's when the idea hit me: Ooma now has the call logs and Blacklists etc. Very nice features. Using call logs, I was able to locate easily the phone number my alarm system attempts to call back to the monitoring station (but fails to properly communicate.)

What if an "Alarm Feature" or "Emergency Monitoring" Feature could be set up in the Ooma hub where when a PARTICULAR number (or set?) is dialed OUT on Ooma this number could be "recognized" as a extreme priority call and therefore automatically by the Oooma unit be given the highest quality / priority number.... IE like dialing *99 beforehand, maximum QOS etc

In that way all an alarm user would have to do is find out what number their alarm system calls in an emergency and they could input this into the Ooma hub via the Setup or lounge etc and from then on if that number is called the Ooma hub prioritizes/high quality-izes it automatically.

Thank you.

Tony
#11614 by southsound
Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:42 pm
Great idea. I'm hoping it would not be too difficult to add to an upcoming release of the software. I'm sure many users who have alarms or other hard-coded devices would love it.