Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#11459 by radoave
Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:13 am
wow - this has been too easy... we are up and running about 15 minutes after receiving our ooma hub/scout from costco.com.

we are setup using the premier program, as we require 2 lines, (home line that we share throughout the house using a cordless system, plus a dedicated phone in my home office for when I work from home).

it took about 2-3 weeks for ooma and qwest to complete my home phone number port request, but that is complete and we are completely satisfied with our switch to ooma. The temporary phone number we had to use for a few weeks was sort of a pain, and confusing for the "regulars" that call us at our home number. But, after the port was completed, we are back to using our home number that we've used forever.

Initial investment was $260.00 for the hardware/shipping from costco, and $99/year for premier plan. We just canceled our qwest account now that the port is complete, so we should have the initial investment cleared by 5 months, then start to save close to $55/month by using ooma instead of qwest.

voice quality with ooma is fine, no difference when I compare to qwest. i ask friends and coworkers if they notice any difference, and no one really could tell any difference from our previous service to ooma.

I do run speedtest.net on our home network (we receive high speed internet from comcast) and we typically run at 7Mbps DL and 3Mbps UL - when connected to a call or both lines connected via ooma, our system appears to drop to around 4Mps DL and .20 Mbps UL - so appears to be a big allocation to the upstream capacity when on calls. I host web meetings while on conference calls and was a bit concerned about bandwidth initially, however, after several tests this past week or two, I have not had any issues whatsoever, even when both lines are connected.

the multiple line feature is great, and we constantly are using both lines from our home. The best feature for us is the "personal" numbers and assignment of the ooma hub/scout. I have a dedicate number from my work phone, while the rest of phones throughout the house are assigned to the hub, and only ring when our home number is called. Also, when rolling to vmail, I have a personal greeting for our home number, and a professional greeting for my work number. This option is huge for us, as before we required two separate lines from qwest, which was expensive, especially if we wanted features on both lines.

other cool features we use are the vmail forwarding to text/email - allows us to get messages close to real time on our smartphones. Also, the multi-ring feature is great when I travel, so people calling my home office number will roll immediately to my cell phone. very cool features.

we have one issue to clean up with ooma - my number assigned for my homeoffice must have been previously used by someone else, as callerID systems indicate a different username to that number. not sure how to update that yet, but working on it...

to summarize, we are extremely happy with ooma so far, will be saving about $50/month in less than 5months when our initial hardware investment is cleared based on savings from cancelling our qwest service. voice quality is as good as it was with qwest, but we get more features. the dual line, personal number assignment is perfect for our situation. the vmail forward to text/email is a sweet feature for us, as we are always on the go. the multiring is great when traveling. overall, we are ecstatic with this change to ooma and we are telling everyone we know about the service.

go ooma! :)
#11460 by buzzman
Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:24 am
It's good that you had a smooth transition from Qwest. In my case, it took almost 2 months to get my number ported.

With Qwest, do you have a 2 year contract/commitment with them? I do, and I just received a $200 early termination fee on my old account. Qwest CSR has mentioned about this and he said Qwest should be able to remove it once you explain that you merely "transfered" your DSl commitment to the new account.
#11468 by scottlindner
Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:15 am
buzzman wrote:It's good that you had a smooth transition from Qwest. In my case, it took almost 2 months to get my number ported.

With Qwest, do you have a 2 year contract/commitment with them? I do, and I just received a $200 early termination fee on my old account. Qwest CSR has mentioned about this and he said Qwest should be able to remove it once you explain that you merely "transfered" your DSl commitment to the new account.

That sucks to hear. It looks like I will be going through the same hassle soon. How long after your switch were you notified of the fine?

Scott
#11474 by southsound
Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:27 pm
radoave,

Always good to hear ooma success stories. Most folks don't bother to write when their experience is good, just when they have a problem. Your story will help others who are not yet ooma owners.

Now that you are up and running, let me be among the first to welcome you to the ooma family! And remember that this forum relies on users like yourself helping other users based on their personal experience, so visit often!