Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#9989 by papa ooma
Wed May 20, 2009 1:02 pm
I was using DSL and phone service on the same single phone line. I needed to port my number to Ooma without losing my AT&T line and be left without phone service. I ended up doing the following:

1. I had a 4 pair line (eight wires) running into my house from the street.
2. I called AT&T to go with an additional line with just Dry Loop DSL. They wanted to charge $149.00 installation fee, but I told them I would handle the wiring in the house (my grey phone junction box is in my basement and I could see the red & green wires connected from the street line to the box at my house.) I told them I did not need any inside installation and avoided the $149 fee.
3. I told Ooma on the porting agreement that I had a DSL line, even though it was not connected yet. Ooma told me in an email it would take about 3 weeks, then sent me an email giving me the actual date.
4. On that date, Ooma ported my number to them and this automatically cancels your account with AT&T and your service is shut off, so that is why it's important to have the Dry Loop DSL ready to go.
5. AT&T had my DSL line set up a week after I requested the line, so I went to the box in the basement, disconnected the red and green wires. I then connected the solid orange and orange and white wires (that the AT&T technician told me he used for my DSL Dry Loop Line) to where the red and green were previously, everything has worked flawlessly.
6. I tell everyone I know about Ooma.
#10032 by papa ooma
Thu May 21, 2009 5:24 am
One other thing I forgot to say, I filled out the port request May 1 online and it was completed by Ooma on May 18. Very good service in 11 business days.

Also in my first post, I should clarify that the DSL line is only 2 wires, in my case it was a solid orange wire and one 2-color orange and white wire.
Last edited by papa ooma on Thu May 21, 2009 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
#10033 by scottlindner
Thu May 21, 2009 5:29 am
papa ooma wrote:Also in my first post, I should clarify that the DSL line is only 2 wires, in my case it was a solid orange wire and one 2-color orange and white wire.

That's Cat5 (or better) communications wire and the orange pair is for line 2. The blue pair is for line 1. We're getting away from the red, green, black, and yellow wire.

Cheers,
Scott
#10118 by papa ooma
Fri May 22, 2009 5:03 am
scottlindner wrote:
papa ooma wrote:Also in my first post, I should clarify that the DSL line is only 2 wires, in my case it was a solid orange wire and one 2-color orange and white wire.

That's Cat5 (or better) communications wire and the orange pair is for line 2. The blue pair is for line 1. We're getting away from the red, green, black, and yellow wire.

Cheers,
Scott

You're right Scott. I checked the cable and it is Cat5 coming into the house. The AT&T tech that installed it ran a splice from the blue pair to make them red and green when it attached to the interior wiring inside the grey terminal box from AT&T.
#10119 by scottlindner
Fri May 22, 2009 5:21 am
papa ooma wrote:You're right Scott. I checked the cable and it is Cat5 coming into the house. The AT&T tech that installed it ran a splice from the blue pair to make them red and green when it attached to the interior wiring inside the grey terminal box from AT&T.

Excellent. Cat5 is superior telephony wire. I solved many DSL issues by running Cat5 to the phone box rather than using the home's phone wires.

Scott