Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#9916 by scottlindner
Tue May 19, 2009 3:25 am
This is part question, part request. Is there a developer's API? If there isn't, can we get one?

Cheers,
Scott
#9979 by koehn
Wed May 20, 2009 8:37 am
I think one is coming, at least to initiate calls. I haven't seen one yet, but I'm hopeful.
#10030 by scottlindner
Thu May 21, 2009 4:45 am
koehn wrote:I think one is coming, at least to initiate calls. I haven't seen one yet, but I'm hopeful.

I'm hoping the API would be complete enough to create a "soft" modem driver so your PC would think it has a modem. Mostly what I'm after is tying in the Caller ID information into my HTPC so I don't need to get my lazy butt up to see who's calling when watching a movie.

Scott
#10756 by sokha
Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:22 am
one more vote from me for SDK.

the problem with this, of course, one person can share 10 of their friends using Ooma service.
which means, Ooma will lose a lot of money.

to make it fair, Ooma shall make the SDK to detect IP address.
if IP is not the same, then, user must log-on the Lounge to disable the Hub in order to use the soft phone.
if IP is the same, then, it means the call is from the same location and thus not necessary to log-on to the Lounge to disable the hub.

SDK shall also provide method of "automatically disable HUB" when soft phone is used and when IP address of soft phone is different than the HUB.
#10762 by scottlindner
Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:23 am
sokha wrote:the problem with this, of course, one person can share 10 of their friends using Ooma service.
which means, Ooma will lose a lot of money.

I had the same concern prior to posting the SDK request. Then I realized that we can cheat today without an SDK. All you need is a computer with a voice modem and you have everything you need to cheat. Even with an SDK, you'd still need the same things. So I'm not sure there is much Ooma can do about it other than hope it doesn't happen much. I can't imagine it being worth the hassle for most people. For those that it would be worth the hassle, the 3000 minute per month limit will trigger their disconnection.

Cheers,
Scott
#10796 by sokha
Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:26 am
hi Scott,

as you know, there is no foolproof system.

All you need is a computer with a voice modem and you have everything you need to cheat.

i think Ooma is using the IP address and MAC address checking right now.
thus, i don't think it will work with the voice modem as mentioned above.

also, there's common sense and mutual trust build into the Ooma service.
why do you think Ooma have the 3,000 minutes policy? :-)
if you reach 3,000 minutes months after months, it will trigger the alarm.
and as Ooma TOS mentioned, they will look at it as case by case basis.

you have to agree that nobody would go over the 3,000 minutes unless you share your service with someone else.
the call logs itself will prove who the abuser. :-)

and why do you think T-mobile or similar cell phone carriers have THE FAVORITE 5 calling plan or FAMILY PLAN?
90% of the calls are to family and friends.
those are the one that you talk with a lot.
that means, you probably call the same 5 or so number all the time.
when i need to talk to customer (aka, stranger), i would be off the phone less than 15 minutes.
average call around 5 minutes.
#10816 by scottlindner
Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:21 pm
sokha wrote:you have to agree that nobody would go over the 3,000 minutes unless you share your service with someone else.

One hour and forty minutes a day? You've never listened to my wife talk to just one of her sisters. Get teenagers in the mix and the rest of the family, it's very easy to blow away 3000 minutes legitimately.

Scott
#10817 by sokha
Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:52 pm
what the heck they talked about everyday for that long???
you gotta check out George Carlon, "It's Bad For Ya."
it's his last HBO special.

in the act, he mentioned about cell phone.
and my view of the world is exactly the same as George's!! :-)

personally, i think if the person spends that much time on the phone, they need a new hobby.

regarding going over the 3,000 minutes, Ooma TOS said it is case by case basis.
in term of operating cost, i bet the majority of user don't go over the minutes.
it's the same deal as internet usage.
some folks use more than others.
but within a certain zone, it's average about the same everywhere.

and i believe Ooma folks are intelligent people. :-)
they probably knew the science and the psychology about phone calls and what's the average people use.
Last edited by sokha on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#10818 by scottlindner
Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:39 pm
sokha wrote:personally, i think if the person spends that much time on the phone, they need a new hobby.

She has a new hobby. That's why she is talking on the phone that long. It's our first baby. VERY easy to spend countless hours letting everyone listen to the baby coo.

sokha wrote:regarding going over the 3,000 minutes, Ooma TOS said it is case by case basis.
in term of operating cost, i bet the majority of user don't go over the minutes.
it's the same deal as internet usage.
some folks use more than others.
but within a certain zone, it's average about the same everywhere years.

and i believe Ooma folks are intelligent people. :-)
they probably knew the science and the psychology about phone calls and what's the average people use.

I know. I simply said it's very easy to go over 3000 minutes without doing something dirty that is against the TOS.

Scott
#10840 by sokha
Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:01 pm
i just setup a webcam for a customer.

you should get one for your wife.
the family and friends get to SEE the baby too. :-)
great way to stay in touch for FREE!!
free locally, nationwide and internationally.
and let other VoIP service eat up some of the minutes. :-)