Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#9862 by drdec
Mon May 18, 2009 9:25 am
Since switching to ooma I have just had the feeling that I am not giving a phone company enough of my money so I just had to suggest some ways that ooma could take some of it.

In all seriousness, I suggest offering the various features of ooma premiere a la carte. I am only really interested in one of them (call screening) but buying the whole package is just too much for one feature. If it were $4/mo, I would do it.

Also, there is one feature in the premiere package that IMO is detrimental; instant second line. The problem comes when a second call comes - with call waiting, it is easy to handle. With instant second line, I have to run down the phone attached to the other ooma device and then juggle two phones.

But maybe I am just doing it wrong - after all I still haven't figured out how to end the current call on my cell phone when another call comes in. Those minutes pile up fast when you are on two calls at once.
#9863 by WayneDsr
Mon May 18, 2009 9:46 am
Instant second line works like call waiting if you aren't near the phone. You should be able to "flash" over putting the first caller on hold and answering the second call.
If you can't flash over, you may need to call Customer Service and have them reset it for you.

I simply put my Scout next to the hub and have access to all the buttons.

Wayne
#9877 by bw1
Mon May 18, 2009 11:31 am
Just subscribe to ooma Premier. It's only $99.99 per year and you can pay once and be done for a year (plus your free trial, if you're still on it). You'll get all the benefits and there will be more added that you'll probably want and use before the end of the year and you'll know you're helping the company. :)
#9935 by drdec
Tue May 19, 2009 8:06 am
bw1 wrote:Just subscribe to ooma Premier. It's only $99.99 per year and you can pay once and be done for a year (plus your free trial, if you're still on it). You'll get all the benefits and there will be more added that you'll probably want and use before the end of the year and you'll know you're helping the company. :)

I'm not going to subscribe to ooma premier just to get one feature that I want. It's not worth $100/yr. Besides, I suspect that if I really wanted that feature, I could re-hook up my existing answering machine. I doubt they will add more features I would want -- I'm not exactly a power user when it comes to the telephone.

Furthermore, I'm not about to sign up for premiere after paying to port my number. Not to mention the horror story about the port.
#9937 by bw1
Tue May 19, 2009 9:33 am
You're the one who wanted to pay more. ;)

Sorry to hear that you had issues porting. I suspect (except for communication from ooma) most of the issues are the result of the carrier being ported out from.

Since you've already paid $40 for porting and you're willing to pay an additional $48 ($4/mo.), you're only talking about $12 more. But hey, it's your money, it's up to you how you want to spend it.

I doubt we'll see a la carte pricing of premier features. I think they have enough going on to add management of that.
#9952 by bc3tech
Tue May 19, 2009 5:12 pm
I think a la carte would be a good addition to ooma's appeal as well. make it more expensive after like 3 or 4 options than going w/ the whole package though, just like a phone company does if you want a plain line + caller id & a couple other features.

and don't offer paying yearly on a la carte options. offer that only on the full package.

just a few ways they could do it to appeal to users that want one or two things, but also make it worth their time in the process
#9954 by WayneDsr
Tue May 19, 2009 5:31 pm
ooma already includes free local calling, free long distance, free Caller ID, and free voicemail.
I think that just about does it for a la carte.

Next tier is Premier.
Sounds fair to me.

Wayne
#9958 by jmassimilla
Tue May 19, 2009 6:05 pm
WayneDsr wrote:ooma already includes free local calling, free long distance, free Caller ID, and free voicemail.
I think that just about does it for a la carte.

Next tier is Premier.
Sounds fair to me.

Wayne

I second that. I don't know of any other VOIP provider that offers individual features. Even Verizon offers incentives to go with the packages. I can't imagine it would be cost effective for ooma to do that, especially since the core features are free.
#10039 by Wilsonium
Thu May 21, 2009 6:41 am
I bought my Ooma at Costco and got 6 months of premier service included. I'll be forking over for a year at the end of the 6 months without complaint. At that price, I still save oodles of cash on 2 phone lines and all the features. I find it a proposition difficult to resist since the yearly price is cheaper than one POTS line with no features.
#10068 by jmassimilla
Thu May 21, 2009 10:54 am
Wilsonium wrote:I bought my Ooma at Costco and got 6 months of premier service included. I'll be forking over for a year at the end of the 6 months without complaint. At that price, I still save oodles of cash on 2 phone lines and all the features. I find it a proposition difficult to resist since the yearly price is cheaper than one POTS line with no features.

That's a very good way to look at it!