Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#110819 by tbeltz
Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:00 pm
I previously questioned this and was told that if the service was not hooked up to a router and/or showed usage for a period of 6 months then the service would be considered abandoned and the number could be reclaimed and service terminated. I questioned this as being unfair if in fact the services were continuing to be paid but was told that he Terms of Service stated this and in fact it did??

In reviewing the Terms of service and more specifically Ooma's cause for termination Section 13/B it appears that it no longer says what it did. Has there been a change in the Ooma position on this issue. I certainly hope so as it does not seem fair or good business to terminate a service which is being paid for.

Clarification on this issue would be appreciated if someone knows for sure what Ooma's position is. I even offered to pay for the service by the year if that would make sure the service is not terminated.

Thank You.
#110822 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:10 pm
Current Rule:

Tom B wrote:This policy is subject to change, but the current rule is:

If you pay no RRF AND have neither Premier, an international plan, or some other paid service, AND your “last seen” date is six months, then you go on a list to receive an email telling you that you have 30 days to plug in and be recognized. If you are on the 7 month list with the same criteria, then we presume that you have been notified and your account is terminated. For your unit to be "seen" it needs to have a VPN connection with our servers, so it needs to be plugged in and have either a blue logo or a blinking red logo with the top 3 lights off (volume, brightness, antenna icons).
#110837 by tbeltz
Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:27 am
Sorry....but what is" RRF"? I have units with both the Premier Service and also just the basic Telo service and I am paying for them monthly, so why do they need to be plugged in when I am continuing to be charged and continue to pay the required monthly fee?

Under the Terms of Section 13-B it reads as follows:

(b) By Us: We may terminate any or all of your Services or use of your Equipment at any time if any charge by us to your credit or debit card is declined or reversed, if your credit or debit card expires or is cancelled and you have not provided us with a valid replacement credit or debit card, or if you otherwise fail to pay any charges, taxes, or fees. Any attempt to use or use of a stolen credit or debit card will result in termination of all of your Services and use of your Equipment. We may terminate your use of the Equipment or of any or all Services if you fail to pay undisputed charges after they are due or within 5 business days after we have notified you that, in our sole but reasonable discretion, such disputed charges are valid and should be paid. We may terminate or modify your use of the Equipment or of any or all Services immediately if we determine, in our sole and absolute discretion, that you violated any of your obligations in this Agreement or that you violated the license granted in Paragraph 3. We may terminate any element of the Services provided to you (but not your use of the Equipment for unlimited calling) for any other reason or no reason by providing notice to you of at least 10 working days.

This Right to Terminate service is mainly related to the non-payment of services or abuse of the service as it should be. Maybe there is someplace else which refers to what you are stating.

I simply do not understand why you would terminate an account which is paying the fees which you have established?? Just does not make good logic to me???

Your rule as explained states "If you pay no RRF AND have neither Premier, an international plan, or some other paid service" does the monthly payment of the monthly fee not count as "paying". I do not know what the "RRF" payment consists of so don't know if I am paying that or not. All I know is I am paying what is asked for? Apologize for my not understanding and am not trying to be difficult. Just simply do not understand the Ooma thinking on this issue. Seems too simple.
#110839 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:13 am
RRF is monthly taxes or Regulatory Recovery Fees.
#110879 by tbeltz
Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:39 am
lbmofo wrote:RRF is monthly taxes or Regulatory Recovery Fees.

It appears that I am paying the fees and taxes as they are billed by Ooma and none have been rejected for any of the reasons as laid out in their posted Terms specifically Section 13/B. Nothing in their terms state that the Unit is required to be plugged in?? So what grounds would they have to declare the service abandoned and terminate the service??

As long as I am paying for the service, where does it say I have to use it. I may be using it to forward calls to another landline, I may be using it simply for the voice mail or I may only use it 3 or 4 months out of the year but I am still paying for it. Maybe the answer is as simple as the need to pay for it by the year....which I am willing to do............in this regard even MJ is better.........their issue is when people may want a credit or terminate the service. I am not asking for either, in fact just the opposite, one would think Ooma would like that even better.

I see the topic is getting several looks but no one seems to want to express their view. Maybe I am missing something here??
#110882 by lbmofo
Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:15 am
If you are paying monthly taxes, your account won't be terminated even if not connected to Ooma central 1 day out of every 6 months. Unless the policy changes in the future. Given Ooma's business model where a lot of revenue comes from hardware sales, they may start (I won't be surprised) having people demonstate that their hardware still works by requiring connection to Ooma central periodically even if monthly RRF is paid.
#110952 by Tom
Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:23 am
tbeltz : in response to your question it is as lbmofo states above