Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#109675 by vegetto
Thu May 09, 2013 2:45 pm
http://www.freedompop.com - has anyone tried this? I plan on only using this when I travel and can't find a hotspot. Seems like a great deal if I really need to get into my email there's no wifi in sight (figuratively speaking of course :D ).
#109693 by vegetto
Thu May 09, 2013 6:37 pm
i saw that thread, that's where i got the link... and many others, thanks btw :D

only thing is that freedompop is either great or just horrible. i imagine that these services like freedompop, playon, and ooma are all like that. the technology illiterate are probably giving the negative reviews, so i wanted to get an opinion from someone that has more experience with this kind of stuff.
#109731 by Eukaryon
Fri May 10, 2013 11:40 am
freedompop is only available in large metropolitan areas. Very large. If you live in 97% of the geographic US, it is no go. Otherwise, it sounds nice.
#109924 by oomg
Thu May 16, 2013 7:00 am
I have had the FreedomPop Photon for approximately eight months. When it works, it works well. However, coverage is spotty. I live in the hills about 12 miles north of downtown Los Angeles, fairly close to the Angeles Forest mountains. My FreedomPop device does not get reception where I live (which doesn't bother me as I have wifi enabled). Along the foothills, the signal is weak at best. In other areas where there is a strong signal, it works fine. I have been able to use the signal to connect my iPod Touch whenever there is a signal.

As I see it, part of the problem is that FreedomPop is using the Clear network which to my understanding is not as good as Sprint's LTE service. I read somewhere that FreedomPop would be switching to Sprint's LTE service, but have yet to receive any confirmation.

The price is reasonable enough. And for my purposes, 500 mb /month is probably sufficient. FreedomPop will try to upsell the user (e.g. 2GB for $18/mo; faster service for $3/mo; and rollover of unused data for $3/mo). I had also ordered the FreedomPop iPod sleeve, but found that the Photon was better suited for my purposes. The sleeve is a little bulky, and I personally don't like the way it attaches to the iPod. Moreover, the Photon is better suited for other devices like an iPad of similar tablet.

In brief summary, should be good if you are in a relatively strong signal area. Otherwise, not quite ready for prime time.