Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#108586 by Aubuchon
Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:30 pm
Has anyone tried the Obihai OBi202 VoIP Phone Adapter (with Router with 2-Phone Ports, T.38 Fax, Supports: Google Voice & SIP) ? It' s $71.99 on Amazon today and looks like a much better fit for my needs since it supports fax. I've heard that Cisco has a Voip product that also has the T.38 fax codec. I'm frankly tired of begging ooma to enable faxing and now they wan't to charge me for a feature that still doesn't work even after adding 3x redundancy feature. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
#108593 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:18 pm
I'd go look into these (not in any kind of order)

Any POTS or

FiOS Digital Voice - Verizon
AT&T U-verse Voice - Digital Home Phone Service
Comcast Digital Voice
CenturyLink Residential: Digital Voice
Frontier Digital Phone
Time Warner Cable Digital Voice
COX Digital Telephone VoIP service

These guys actually control their own VoIP traffic over their own network.
#108599 by Aubuchon
Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:05 am
Thank you but I really don't want to sign up for a monthly service. I was looking for something more like ooma but a device that includes T.38 faxing codec. I had Cox Digital Telephone. Cox charged monthly recurring fees as listed below which included no features (such as call-wating...calller id etc), nothing, just a basic line.
Basic Monthly Service $13.18
FCC Access Charge $6.98
Directory Listing - Non Published $2.00
Telephone Taxes, Fees and Surcharges
Federal Excise Tax $0.60
Telecommunication Fund for the Deaf $0.14
E911 Tax $0.20
Total Taxes $0.94
Fees and Surcharges
County Sales Tax $0.11
Local Telecommunications $0.27
State Regulatory Assessment $0.06
State Sales Tax $1.00
State Universal Service Fund $0.01
Federal Universal Service Fund $1.12
Total Fees and Surcharges $2.57
Total Telephone ,Taxes, Fees and Surcharges $25.67

Has anyone used the Obihai OBi202 VoIP adapter? http://www.amazon.com/OBi202-Phone-Adap ... pd_sim_e_4 How about the Cisco adapter?
#108611 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:30 am
Short of what I mentioned, your choices are pretty limited.

"However, to benefit from T.38, the service provider must support it. At the present time, Google Voice does not."
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3157.0

"I didn't test the T.38 faxing capability, but it's worth mentioning that it supports G.711 passthrough which likely will give you 75-85% success rate when faxing.

OBi202 with Google Voice Fax Support: Good
OBi202 with a SIP provider Fax Support: Excellent"

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating ... review.asp

"Does faxing work with the OBi?
Yes. Sending and receiving faxes works with the OBi. Note that there are challenges inherent with using fax technology and VoIP technology such that many factors having to do with network resilience and fax machine compatibility make faxing with VoIP less reliable than using the plain old telephone service's network."

http://www.obihai.com/FAQ.html

"When using passthru with G711 we experienced a 75-80% completion rate. In short your mileage may vary and one should always consider the instability of faxing over VoIP."
http://blog.callcentric.com/2012/07/rev ... bi202-ata/
#108619 by Aubuchon
Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:06 pm
Yah, I read that obi thread as well that says that Google doesn't support fax. So I went to Google Voice help forums and found that some people actually had success when faxing with obihai obi202 device thru GV while others didn't. So I'm back to square one. Might look at getting a different fax machine. I wish there was a list of which one's have the ability to change baud rate and disable error correction mode. But I remember using AT&T Callvantage voip service before they canceled it. I'd say it had a 100% success rate from personal use. I actually can't ever remember having a problem faxing with it all the years I owned it.
Thanks for the feedback.
#108632 by Aubuchon
Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:04 pm
I think I'm going to have to go with the Obi202 and here's why.
Found an interesting comparison article between it, ooma and a couple of lesser voip devices. (see link below)
Pricing for ten years of ooma Premiere comes out to $1879.89 while the Obihai device is just $71.99 with more features and options for the same ten years. It's a long read but worth the effort. The comparison chart is most revealing and tells a story all by itself for those with time constraints. Even if faxing on Google Voice doesn't work,(hoping it will though) then I have several other SIP options available at little to no cost. (The pricing comparisons on the chart are a little outdated so it lists the obi202 at $75.00 which is incorrect)

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating ... s-ooma.asp

I tried to post the chart on this thread but the jpeg was too large for ooma to handle. How ironic...
#108883 by MapleOne
Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:40 am
I used to be a prolific webmaster who ran many forums. I always had a rule (on commercial forums) that competing services were not to be discussed. IE you cannot discuss competing hosting offers on my hosting forum.

It is OK to say I am moving on but technically we should respect the resources of the company hosting the forum and not post links or specifics on competing companies. In this case we are using Ooma resources to discuss competing companies and IN MY OPINION we should respect their resources and discuss the competing offers on their respective forums.

My moderators were instructed to post this in the rules and close the topics.

That is purely my opinion and does not mean to disrespect anyone participating in this topic.
Last edited by MapleOne on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
#108891 by Aubuchon
Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:37 am
MapleOne wrote: technically we should ...

"Technically" ooma should have helped to resolve the issue. Prohibiting members from discussing other companies seems shallow and petty. I've invested money into ooma products and am getting no faxing service and no help from ooma on the issue running over a span of several years. I can post all the threads dating back to 2010 if you want. (I only use it for fax.) Now they want to charge me more money for a so-called redundancy reliable faxing service which also doesn't work. Time to move on. There are other people on this forum who use ooma primarly for faxing service who have bought the device and only later discovered that it doesn't work. We are probably a minority few but we need an alternative and since ooma can't and won't help with our issue then I think it's only fair we be allowed to discuss other options on this forum. If ooma wants to delete this thread and discourage any further discussion on other companies then fine. If they do then I will take this discussion to as many outside forums as possible and spread the word. This forum is quickly becoming an echo chamber echoing all the voice's of cutomers who unwittingly bought ooma expecting it to be something more than what it is. Congratulations to all the people who bought it and use it only for voice service. I'm sure you'll be happy with the product. I only hope that you never need to send a fax in an emergency situation. (for those who think that it could be my fax machine or some other variable involved, I successrully used faxing on ooma until they rolled out a firmware update. I also had no problems faxing on VoIP when I had AT&T's Callvantage (no longer available) using the same fax machine and internet provider as I do with ooma.)
Last edited by Aubuchon on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
#108892 by MapleOne
Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:50 am
I have not noticed Ooma deleting any topics, so far the company has been pretty transparent.

Of course I understand your dilemma and would never try to argue against your issues. In fact I agree that once you buy the equipment and you realize the product is not for you then you are pretty much snookered.

Maybe a for for sale section would help. I have noticed a few people selling there Ooma here with good response. However the better scenario would be to address your concern.

I would still suggest you try to address the issue at hand with the Ooma and say there are other services that do not have this issue without necessarily posting links to them. Again this is just my opinion (as an ex webmaster) and may of course not reflect that of Ooma.

Good luck, I hope you get your issue resolved.