Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#105817 by inhaliburton
Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:58 pm
I spoke with CS earlier today and was told that I CANNOT port my BELL 613-399-xxxx number over to Ooma. I was told basically that Ooma is new to Canada and as yet do not have all call areas and local exchanges covered yet.

I wonder if other Canucks have had success--or no success--in porting their numbers?

I was told they have no idea when, or even if ever, this may happen.

I bought the Telo thinking I could port the home number with Bell. Not much point in going with the Premier service for me now.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter?

Thank you.
#105822 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:32 pm
Check back later on this page:

http://ca.ooma.com/help-me?step=3

Select "I'd like to check if I can transfer (port) my number"

Plug in your 613 399 and you'd get

"We may not be able to port your phone number to Ooma at this time. We are always expanding our coverage, so please check back with us later!

Hopefully, the above message would change to:

"It looks like we can port your phone number to Ooma! If you're already a customer, you can start the porting process by visiting the Add-ons section of My Ooma."
#105833 by inhaliburton
Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:39 pm
Thanks for that, ibmofo.

I would still like to know what the likelihood of this occurring up here in the land of the outstretched palm.

I also checked for friend living in the 705-286 exchange area of Minden, Ontario. That area isn't being service, either. So it would appear to be widespread.

Anybody know how quickly or slowly this process takes? If our telcos up here are involved in making things happen, I will likely not live to see it happen.

The real savings is in dumping the major telcos with their overpriced services. I'm paying about $55. per month for a landline. My total output for landline, cellphone, and satellite TV from Ma Bell is $200. per month.

We are able to port phone numbers from one telco to another. At one time not that long ago, that wasn't possible. We only have a couple of key players up here, which adds up to very little competition. The so-called independents doing discounts such as Telus, Koodo, Virgin, et al, are owned by either Rogers or Bell. Can you spell, "monopoly?"

Thanks again. Great product. Great service.
#105917 by Poindexter
Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:48 pm
This is somewhat disheartening to read. I bought my Ooma on the basis of hanging up on Bell if the Ooma worked well enough which it has so far.
It would have been nice to know this beforehand but nothing that I found looking at the website and the online store I bought it from mentioned it.. Only that you could port your landline number.. Did I miss something?

To make matters worse I've been giving it glowing reviews to my friends etc. about cutting the cord and now to find out I can't.. Hope they haven't bought one yet.
#105918 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:10 pm
Call customer support and ask about the timing of when your number would be portable.

For Canada:
Phone: 1-866-929-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm PST
Saturday-Sunday Closed

http://ca.ooma.com If you been to the "Help Me Decide" section, you would have known if your number was portable or not.
#105921 by inhaliburton
Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:23 pm
lbmofo wrote:Call customer support and ask about the timing of when your number would be portable.

For Canada:
Phone: 1-866-929-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm PST
Saturday-Sunday Closed

http://ca.ooma.com If you been to the "Help Me Decide" section, you would have known if your number was portable or not.

I spoke with CS yesterday and they told me that they have no idea when, or even "if" numbers in my area will ever be portable.

I also mentioned that no where on their site did it indicate that Canadian number were not portable.

I strongly suggest that this be emphasized on both the USA and Canadian site versions.
Last edited by inhaliburton on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#105922 by inhaliburton
Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:33 pm
Poindexter wrote:This is somewhat disheartening to read. I bought my Ooma on the basis of hanging up on Bell if the Ooma worked well enough which it has so far.
It would have been nice to know this beforehand but nothing that I found looking at the website and the online store I bought it from mentioned it.. Only that you could port your landline number.. Did I miss something?

To make matters worse I've been giving it glowing reviews to my friends etc. about cutting the cord and now to find out I can't.. Hope they haven't bought one yet.

I feel your pain, Poindexter.

Having said that, and like yourself, I saw nothing on the numerous webpages that I read several times trying to understand the concept, that indicated anything other than one's number COULD be ported. Granted, I was reading the USA site at the time. It wasn't until after I purchased Ooma Telo that I discovered there was a so-called Canadian site. I read through it and came away thinking that everything was the same, meaning that porting was a feature because nowhere on the site did it say, porting was not available, or was only available in certain areas. Perhaps in the States there isn't a phone number that cannot be ported over to Ooma, which is the impression I got, and I came away with the same impression that phone numbers in Canada are portable, too.

I too, told a friend living in the 705 area code about Ooma. He considered the MagicJack route until he found out that phone numbers are not portable. I told him that they certainly were portable with the Ooma device. Like yourself, I hope he hasn't purchased one yet...
#105987 by inhaliburton
Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:25 am
UPDATE from Ooma...

Thank you very kindly for your email. After further research with our carrier surrounding the portability of your phone number, it does appear that your number remains not portable at this time due to lack of coverage. By lack of coverage we mean that our carriers do not have any Inter Connect Agreements with the rate centers/carriers in your area. In the vast majority of cases, porting a phone number is not a problem. However, there are circumstances (like yours) where we don't have a connection to the rate center. In those rare instances we cannot port a number to us. These agreements are typically harder to obtain in smaller, more rural areas. You may navigate to the following page if you'd like more information on inter connect agreements. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interconnect_agreement.

Your satisfaction is important to us whether you remain a customer or chose to wait to become one. At present, we would be more than happy to port your phone number, yet with no carriers to port it to, we have to decline your request to port at this time. As we grow our coverage grows and we still encourage you to continue to check back with us from time to time to confirm if our carriers coverage has been extended to your area.

Thank you for your time, effort, patience and understanding in this matter.
#107409 by mbclemen
Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:24 am
I just started the number porting process. Living in Orillia. Porting is available in Midland, Penetang, Peterborough, right now. Not yet for Gravenhurst, Bracebridge, Lindsay.