Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#105728 by dsinternet
Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:09 am
I agree with you if it cost $250-$300. But you can pick up a Ooma for $150 and do basic and you only end up paying for Taxes. So for $150 one year is good. By the way my brother got the Ooma over 3 years ago and has spent under $200 on his phone. That's a total of $200. He just started paying for the taxes a little over one year ago. So another system that lasts a long time. Plug your Ooma or anything of value to a uninterupted power supply. They do make your things last longer. Power surge is not a good thing.
#105770 by rturnbull
Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:18 am
On that I totally agree...I have it plugged into my UPS that I have for my 'puter... It's a 1000 w UPS and can clamp down on any power surge inc a lightning strike on the closest pole to us...

I'd recommend even a cheap one at minimum (for power spikes) Lol, I have my PC one and one for our Plasma TV in the living room... If someone has one for their TV, plug your Ooma into that. Cheap UPS are better than nothing, but now where near as good as a more expensive one.
#105973 by joeed2
Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:51 pm
Costco sells the Telo with Linx right now for $149. That includes a one year manufacturer's warranty. PLUS Costco extends this to a second year warranty under it's Free Concierge Service.

No need for Ooma to give additional price cuts or longer warranties. Worst case, you pay $150 at Costco, it dies in 2 years and 1 day, you chuck it in the garbage can, and you still walk away way ahead. Everything else is gravy.

Also, you have to keep in mind this is a declining market segment, this is not about growth anymore. A few years ago, when VOIP companies where eager to gobble up the market share of people leaving land lines in droves, your strategy about "market grown" would have made sense. That all change with the invention of the iPhone (and now Andriod). Most people would just assume dump physical phones sitting around there house that are tied to a "box" in the middle of the living room. And just go 100% smartphone. Smartphones are doing to VOIP, what VOIP did to Landlines.

I also don't see young people (who have grown up with a smartphone growing out of there hand since birth) or people on fixed incomes or living paycheck to paycheck even buying this thing in the first place. For those people, go 100% smartphone.

It's just not possible to aggressively grown market share, when you are in a declining market. Think about it, how would you suggest a record company aggressively grown market share in CD music sales? Not possible anymore. The fact that Ooma is able to hold its ground and continue to offer new products and services in this kind of economic climate with a product in a declining market is actually a very positive feat that shows they are doing things right.
#105978 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:26 pm
joeed2 wrote:Also, you have to keep in mind this is a declining market segment, this is not about growth anymore.

Not sure about that. Vonage who charges just as much as landline and the big boys providing VoIP maybe shrinking but the inexpensive alternatives may still be growing significantly. People have reasons to keep home phones around (for 1 common number for the whole household, a number to give out to schools/docs/non important stuff, don't want to deal with headsets or fried ears/face via cell phones, talk without worrying about minutes, get away with cheaper cell plans, etc etc) and if they can do it cheap (just a few bucks in RRF a month) with excellent voice quality, Ooma has something great going I think.
#105981 by rturnbull
Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:57 am
@lbmofo
That's for sure... my Wife talks for hours to her sisters that live else where inthe country. No worries about 'minutes' from cell phones that gouge customers at every turn. Having a backup phone system with a VOIP as well as cell...

@joeed2
I don't think VOIPs are going away anytime soon...
I do think VOIPs need to sell their strong points and creating confidence that your hardware is dependable is critical if you're going to compete with 19.95 for a MJ.